Outside Operation Work Centers

AD1

I have set up an outside operation using a dedicated work center. Do I need to set up any work center rates? My thought process is along the lines of: as this is an outside process, why would we be interested in WC labor charges, machine hours etc, these are only of interest to the sub-contractor. The problem surfaced when I was attaching a WO routing by copying from the item. I'm seeing a red box error on the P3112 and examining the trace file clearly shows the source of the error as the rates not being in F30008. Interestingly, I can scroll along to the OPSC (operation type) field - which is showing red but apparently has no value - and select the <blank> value from the Visual assist and the error clears.
So is my problem with the missing entry in F30008 or a bug in the copy routing by item program?

Make sure the Prime Load Code in the Work Center Master is set to "O" (Other) for the Outside Operations work centers.

Alastair,

yes - you have to create the entry in the rates table - even if the values are zero.

Thanks Laary and R-hand.
I have added the entry in the F30008 rates table and updated the work center frozen costs. but the error remains. I have spent some time this weekend digging down into the code level and can see the problem has its roots in the b30000460.c GetWorkCenterRates business function where the error code 035L is generated. It is almost as if the addition of the previously missing data into the WC rates table is not being seen by the BSFN. Interestingly, the error can be ignored - it behaves almost as if it was a warning and not an error - and the panel will save okay. The error code 035L is definitely defined as an error in the glossary (level 1), so I don't know what is going on here. To recap, the error shows when adding an outside operation routing to a new WO by copying by item. Adding the missing record to F30008 (WC rates table) made absolutely no differance. Have I missed something, somewhere?

Guys,
Ignore my last message as I've now resolved the issue. Although all the indications pointed to row one of my routing being the cause (i.e. the two red fields on this line, with none anywhere else),when I went back to my original log file I spotted the error was actually being triggered twice. I realised then that another of my work centers was triggering the same error, and for the same reason. Adding that WC to the rates table cleared the errors.
Strange that both work center errors were triggering errors on the first line of the grid. Very misleading ... or am I just embarrased that I didn't spot the 2nd problem sooner?
But thanks for your help and patience ...

Back