Oracle Halfway to Fusion

• Thread starter brother_of_karamazov
  • Start date

brother_of_karamazov

Legendary Poster
According to an E-Week article Oracle claims that it is halfway to Fusion. The name has changed from "Project Fusion" to "Fusion Applications" to reflect the milestone.

How much JD Edwards is making it into the final product remains to be seen but the story seems to indicate that JDE may be mostly left out in the cold.

http://www.jdealumni.org/node/325

Now that they have clarified, that "merging" rumour was a misunderstanding, it looks like this entire "fusion" thing was nothing more than a marketing move to support the new version of Oracle E-Business suite.

I think, there was never any room for JDE in this picture.

I guess, they will continue JDE as a separate line, hoping that eventually they can convince JDE users to cross-downgrade to E-Business (probably, re-named by that time into Fusion).

If that doesn't happen, as I would expect, then JDE would likely continue as a separate product for many more years.

Just my opinion...

I was informed that Oracle will continue support JDE as LONG as it still
being used. Means you could be using JDE after 2019.

- Marshall
E1, iSeries

re
te.
y
e

I believe that Oracle IS trying to pull the best from each ERP product for Fusion. Yes, the data model is initially based on eBusiness Suite. However, key concepts such as Set ID from PSFT are being integrated into this model. I know that they are in a bit of dilemma in how much to publish because then they will have one group people saying 'oh, it's done and I didn't get a chance to input' versus the others who want to see the detail. They are soliciting input from the User Groups, including the Tech SIG and personally, I think JDE could use some improvement - in data model design, in development tools (not proprietary would be good), in handling large data sets.

So please try and keep an open mind. I think Fusion will be a good product as it is based on open standards and they ARE getting input from customers. This definitely includes E1 customers.

Sue Shaw
Quest EnterpriseOne Advocacy Director

Sue,

I think this is a fair assessment. Think about how much penetration JDE has with large enterprises. That space is dominated by SAP, Oracle and to a lesser extent the former PeopleSoft. JD Edwards has an analyst recommendation of implementation for businesses no larger than one to two billion in yearly revenue. Oracle won't be able to compete with SAP if they market the JD Edwards product line "now with Oracle and PeopleSoft technologies built in!" At least that is what I think.

Anyone register for Quest yet? Better hurry, rooms will fill up quickly.

Very Interesting thread. I happened to attend one of the Fusion sessions that Oracle is conducting globally for partners across various locations.

Fusion Upgrade Path - It was very clearly mentioned that 8.11 and 8.12 would be the only E1 releases that would have have direct upgrade paths to fusion. (Not only 8.12 like mentioned in another thread here)

They also mentioned that World A73 , A8.1 amd A9 (Thats the new release of World that they plan to come out with) would also have paths to fusion , but there still not much clarity on that.

After attending the session I would agree with some of your views that Fusion, is going to more like a newer version of EBS which also has some of the best functionalities from PeopleSoft Enterprise and J.D.Edwards. But again it is just functionality. Functionality can be incoporated anywhere.

But even the EBS currently does not have a pure Service Oriented Architecture (SOA which is what Fusion is going to be based on), so there will be changes to the technical architecture in Fusion so its not going to be just another version of EBS with some Enterprise and EnterpriseOne functionality added.

But would it be closer to EBS than to JDE , you bet. The look and feel is being driven towards that of PeopleSoft Enterprise because that was one of their strong points.

Now Alex has an interesting point, of whether they would continue to sell JDE as a independent product. One of the points that came up duirng this session was exactly this. They did mention vague plans of continuing the JDE E1 product line as seperate product to specifically target the SME's.

Further to that , Lenley Hensarling's address does give the indication that there might be subsequent E1 releases beyond 8.12.

On the other hand Oracle seems to be pretty clear that Enterprise 9.0 and EBS 12 would be last releases in their respective product lines.

What does that mean at the end of the day....yes Fusion is not gonna look or be anything like JDE in terms of the base functional model. The technical architecture is goin to be something quite new but I dont think that CNC is going to find a place anywhere in there. The development environment is going to be based on the J devleoper (Its actually pretty neat, they showed a demo)...

These are just my views and conclusions from the session I attended

Here's some hot news for you all.

1. There will be another release of E1 after 8.12 (April). It will be called Release 9.0 and will be out in late 2007, early 2008. No one liked 13 which was the reason for the number change. So we are finally going to get our ERP9 (which was the original name of 8.9).

2. This has not been announced yet but all indications are that there will be a migration path from Xe/ERP8 to Fusion. The upgrade method will use a mapping tool called Discoverer (Oracle BI tool, ETL tool) directly into Fusion. Load capabilities are much better. Will be able to use ETL tool to map custom tables. Oracle is looking at assist tools for ‘bolt on’ code. The answer on coexistent migrations to Fusion was 'no, never'. That is ok for us, we definitely need some motivation to get off World. Though our users may have a different opinion.

Sue Shaw
Quest E1 Advocacy Director
Xe SP23i1 Coexistent iSeries V5R3

That's frustrating.

We (and I mean largely I) upgraded us from Xe to 8.9 to avoid being de-supported. Now I get to enjoy having to plan to upgrade, twice, when I could have just stayed on the same release?

I knew I should have gone into a more mellow career.

Agreed that it is frustrating. Though at least you get to take new tools releases. Imagine how overjoyed I am at riding out Xe for another 5 or 6 years. I would prefer to be in your shoes.

Sue

Fertilior seges est alieno semper in arvo.

Richard Taverner translated in 1545 as "The corne in an other mans ground semeth euer more fertyll and plentifull then doth oure owne"

Absolutely hilarious, and the best informative review of the Halfway to
Fusion thing I've seen!

Andy

Sue,

I have gotten a ton of feedback on the blog article I posted. I'd like to do a follow up that gives a lot of the customer's perspective on these announcements. The Quest Advocacy Group would be something I'd like to get connnected to in order to find some of these comments. Drop me a line if you have a chance: [email protected].

Niel

Back