E9.2 Mobility Solutions

Greg.Edy

Currently, we have JDE Standard Mobility applications up and running on Mobile devices using JDE Tool set (9.2.4.4).
My understanding is Oracle will not be supporting JDE Standard Mobile aplications beyond April 2021. Any thoughts on what mobile strategies could be pursued to align with Oracle strategy moving forward. Example, Orchestrator (Capable of Full Development?), Custom Java Development - what else?

I would say the Oracle strategy on this aligns with everything else they are doing around JDE. They want to bring you in further to their cloud eco-system. Specifically, their offering going forward appears to be Visual Builder Cloud Service (VBCS). I would hope that they would have implemented some decent example applications but I doubt they have the "100 apps in 100 days" they built for JDE standard mobility 2.0. This new approach does use Orchestrator/AIS on the backend for VBCS to talk to.

Have a look at this learning path: https://apexapps.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=44785:50:0:::50:P50_EVENT_ID,P50_COURSE_ID:6471,508
It includes a PO approval example app.

My take is that the above is the only way to align with Oracle. For other mobile choices you will still have all ones you have today such as REST calls from a mobile app directly to the AIS (like the current mobile apps do), BSSV calls (like the original mobile apps did), XML Call Object calls (like DSI and some other third-party mobile JDE solutions do). If you bring up these solid but older integration methods to Oracle they won't go so far to say that they are going to be de-supported but they will turn their nose at them..

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to reading the documentation that is attached.

No, I just think it was reprehensible of Oracle to say "You know that mobility architecture you invested so much in? We're dumping it, so sorry."

I can suggest go for an alternative platform which works woth ais and orchestrator both. One i can think of is Swift by ephlux.

Oracles mobile strategy moving forward is that they will not provide mobile applications for JDE but rather they provide a mechanism for JDE to be connected to any mobile platform using the AIS & orchestrator. I think that's really the best way forward as it really never made any sense to provide out of the box mobile apps for customers who would be doing very different things with JDE

Now having a platform to connect with AIS, those are plentiful! VBCS is the main one from Oracle and its very powerful but I think it still is a little too technical for most folks. Swift is another good platform and the one I am most excited by. Their mobile app development makes creating bespoke apps easy, and since they use orchestrations it's really easy to connect with JDE

You can look for DSI mobile app platform also. It has capability to use orchestrator and xml call object. Worked for Windows, Android and iOS platform seamlessly

We are currently evaluating a few solutions for our mobility project. Thus far the Swift platform is the most simplest and cost effective. It is developer friendly, no code/low code and fully integrates with JDE using AIS and Orchestrator as well as any other database for custom applications.

Totally agree - The Swift platform is definitely by far the most cost effective and easy to configure. The no code/low code is a much suited companion for a Business Analyst. The application gives you the ability to create apps on the go without having to consult a Developer. You have access to the real-time data, integrating with all modules of JDE and Swift can integrate with other databases/applications, bringing in datasets that will be more meaningful to the users/business. Rendering the apps on various devices is seamless and the scalability is incredible. Setup and implementation of Swift is so quick, and it doesn't require much.

Back