Mobile Native App Vs Mobile Web App

atulpatil

Hi,

We have some requirement where we would like to expose some of JDE functionality on mobile devices. I was reading about mobile development document provided by Oracle and infrastructure they need to run successfully. I have few questions and it would be nice if you can advice me on the same. BTW we are on 9.1

1. Can i use oracle provided app with our custom objects or do i have to customize app too.

2. If we go with existing app from Oracle then do i need to buy any licenses for example WebLogic server , ADF, MAF etc?

3. Do i have to download multiple app to perform multiple operations such as SO entry and PO entry or is there any singe master application which will display screens based on user role?

4. We have few standard BSSV services exposed for few third party application to consume but for some reason i am not happy with performance of these services. Have you guys experienced similar issue with BSSV. When i say performance, i mean they are not yet ready for mobile app. Mobile app needs faster response.

4. I was thinking of developing mobile web application instead of native app which can integrate with JDE using XML interop instead of BSSV. I found XML interop much faster than BSSV. I have developed a Java application which accepts request in JSON format, convert it to XML interop format and response back in JSON. Do you folks see any issue with this kind of design in long run?

Appreciate all your advice.

Thanks
Atul

Your tools release allows you to look at using AIS. Better than BSSV for mobile devices. it uses JSON over REST, so is like option 4 above

I'd raise a call with Oracle on your questions

1. Have to customize the app too
2. No
3. If you're going with the standard ones then yes
4. BSSV's are designed to work with middleware rather than direct clients
5. That will work but the only thing is that trying to run full transactions from outside of JDE is painful and dangerous if you don't handle the connections and sessions well. So you're better off doing all of your logic and transaction control within JDE and then just exposing simple services. If you don't want to roll your own we have a stack of them as part of our product - https://knowledge.rinami.com/display/Cantara/Cantara+Development+Guide - plus a simple solution for exposing these and anything else as a REST service. This includes an AIS connector so you can run a combined integration solution.

Back