Manual Table Conversions - Can I?

lemieux

Hi All, would appreciate your input.

I've searched Customer Connection and JDEList and reviewed the Upgrade Guide for DB2/400 on iseries and looking for some clarification / high level instructions.

While I have created custom environments sharing path codes before I am not clear how to ...........

We have recently upgraded from xe to 8.11 for Pristine and Development.

I now need to create a new custom environment that shares the 8.11 (upgraded) DV811 pathcode.

The only difference will be the new custom "shared" pathcode will use two different data sources for libraries control tables and business data.

I was thinking thinking all I needed to do was;

1) manually run table conversion over our new environment control tables and business data
2) run Unicode conversion over same and
3) continue with the steps for creating a custom environment sharing a pathcode

Would you agree and if so any idea how to manually run TC's or do I have to create a custom plan and run workbenches?

Thanks everybody,

8.11 - SP1 - 8.95_f1, planner ESU JJ10569, 700+ recently installed ESU's
DS = Windows 2003, SP1, 2GB of RAM and a 3.2ghz processor (this is a VM machine)
ES = iseries 400, OS/400 V5R3

What kind of data ( BD & CT ) do you want for your Custom environment. Does this custom environment already exist in Xe.?

If yes , then make a normal upgrade plan, for the target env , it will ask you to create one where you can specify that it will share the DV pathcode, and so in the advanced settings for the plan you can uncheck the spec merge option.

If the custom environment does not exist , you could just make a copy of your existing DV811 TESTDTA & TESTCTL libraries and setup a new environment that will use the DV pathcode and the new BD & CT libraries.

If you want this environment to have no transaction data but just the basic constants & UDC's etc (Like PY or PD in a fresh install), then just run a plan to add an environment and choose the appropriate data load parameter in the environment workbench (1 - Load Production Data for example).

Hope this gives you some idea

Good Luck

ice, thank-you for replying.

To answer your questions....

Yes, this environment already exists in "xe". As an fyi, I am using a 2nd DS and a new LPAR for our 8.11 upgrade.

For this environment that already exists on "xe", I have copied both ctl tbls and bus data from xe to the new 8.11 LPAR.

Outstanding on these two libraries is the table conversions and Unicode.

I'm comfortable with the Unicode but was hoping there was an easy way to execute the table conversions other than doing a data only upgrade.

I do need the data in both these libraries.

I really like your idea. If yes, then make a normal upgrade plan, for the target env , it will ask you to create one where you can specify that it will share the DV pathcode, and so in the advanced settings for the plan you can uncheck the spec merge option.

I believe this would eliminate having to manually create a custom environment post data only upgrade. Is that correct?

Which would you do, data only upgrade or a new upgrade plan?

Thanks again

Lemieux,

Sorry for the delayed response. A data only upgrade plan is really not any different from a normal upgrade plan except that the spec merge doesnt run. And as per procedure documented you have to manually delete certain TC entries.

I'd say you are better off just running a regular upgrade plan and unchecking the spec merge option in the advanced properties.

Good Luck

Back