List of Values in PO

jeremey_garcia

VIP Member
Hey,

Is it possible to enable a list of values through a processing option? I know it is possible through data selection, and programmatically using set user selection.

i.e. Payroll lady needs a report that will list the average incentive pay for a four week period. She would like to be able to specify a list of job codes to include in the report.

I would like to be able to do this using only one field in the processing options box. Is this possible?

BTW: I searched in the developers forum using List of Values, and read the posts and replies for maurice and gene. If there is anything else I could search for and find a possible solution let me know and I will look it up.

TIA

Jeremey Garcia
Xe SP14 ES - AS/400 CO - AS/400 Deploy - NT Citrix

Sounds like a job for Data Selection to me.

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld XE, SP 15.1
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
Mfg, Distribution, Financials

Please don't say that:)

I am hoping that it wouldn't be that, but if that is the only option, it looks like I'll be stuck with it.

Thanks.

Jeremey Garcia

As getting a list from p/opts would be awkward,
might you set a single p/opt that represents
a SET of values?

The values w/in each set could be stored in a UDC,
and appended to data selection in the init section.

Gene Piekarski, Jr

AS/400, B733, SP11.2, NT client
AS/400, B733, SP14, W2000 client
XE, SP15.1

Hi Jeremy,

When I've had to do things like this in the past I've collected user options in a form via selections (linked to UDC's), check boxes etc and then passed these through to the UBE and Set Data Selection.

Regards

Neil.

OW B733.3 (XE), SP 16
AS/400, OS V5.1

I've had multiple ppl suggest this one, so I am attempting it. I have come across a problem in setting up the report interconnect from a form exit button. It does not want to give me a data structure to pass the values into. grrrrrrrr.

Jeremey Garcia

Probably a stupid question, but is the data structure set up in the report yet?
This has to be done first. And I've needed to close the FDA and RDA restart them again if I add a data structure to a report while the FDA was open.

Tim Rathjen
B7332 SP16 Oracle 8.1.6 Intel/NT OptioDCS 6.3.6

Nope, I just thought of that before my boss walked in with some questions for me. Getting ready to try that now. Thanx for reinforcing my guess.:)

Jeremey Garcia

well it ran a report, but it didn't pop up my processing options. One minor problem down, one to go.

Jeremey Garcia

Is there a switch or differnt function to use (other then Report Interconnect) to call a UBE from an APPL that will allow me to display PO's and switch run location?

Jeremey Garcia

Hi Jeremey,

What about to call W98305A Work With Batch Versions form of P98305 Batch Versions application via Form Interconnect.

Check, how does the Address Book application do it in the Report menu of the Work With Addresses entry form.

Regards,

Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Hi Jeremey,

An other solution could be to create your own "Submit Version" application. Study the event rules of the "Select" and "Processing Options" row exits of the W98305A Work With Batch Versions form in the P98305 Batch Versions application.

Maybe you can start with a copy of P98305 and modify it as you wish.

Please, keep us informed. Thanks!

Regards,

Zoltán

Jer,

I like to work in a very simplistic user world... thus I ask, why not use a
custom UDC? You can attach fields to the PO Template which tie to UDC
tables ... and build the logic within the application around the UDC values.

Granted, it would make maintenance a little work - but it would fulfill the
request at task. Programmatically, you'd select/sort based on the UDC.

Just a thought

Daniel Bohner
[email protected]
www.existinglight.net
JDE - XE & AS/400
JDE - B7331 & MS SQL 7x

Thanx Zoltan,

That's an idea, however, I am wanting to pass values to the report generated from the original form as well as having processing options available to fill in and it does not look like it handles that. Unless I have missed something in the data structure of the form interconnect.

I can see where calling the work with available batch versions will come in handy. But, I don't think it will fit what I am currently trying to do. Your second suggestion sounds a little over my head for my current knowledge level. I will play with that when I have some time and don't need to get something done right away. I appreciate all your ideas especially since at my experience level I probably would never think of them:)

I looked at the Address Book application you suggested, the reports are not passing the grid record fetched, at least I can not see the record being passed in the event rules. Am I overlooking something?

TIA

Jeremey Garcia

Re: RE: List of Values in PO

I have a custom UDC which I want to select multiple records from to use as part of the data selection, which is were the problem comes in. How can you select - thru processing options - a list of values to use in the data selection? Unless you are saying make a page on the PO template have a spot for all possible values, then use the Append User Selection function in the ER? That's a possibiltiy but is it really necessary?

I am with you, let's keep this as simple as possible, and if the most simplistic answer is let the user have the capability to change the data selection, then so be it.

Jeremey Garcia
Greenville, SC, USA
Xe SP14; ES - AS/400; CO - AS/400; Deploy - NT Citrix - NT SP6; Report Distribution - Formscape;

W/in the udc, have KY represent the SET of values
to be selected. IE: AAA (as KY) would have
AAA, ABB, ACC, ADD, AEE as the DL01 (and/or DL02)
depending on the # and length of values. Likewise
a KY of BBB could have DL01/DL02 = BAA, BCC, BDD, ...

The user could set up "standard" KYs that they
want to have as "sets". W/in the UBE, GetUDC
and parse DL01/DL02 into values and attach them
w/APPEND USER DATA SELECTION.

A drawback to this approach is that a UDC would
need to be set up for each "set" that they might
want, and that "ad-hoc" sets would also need to
be setup.

Gene Piekarski, Jr

AS/400, B733, SP11.2, NT client
AS/400, B733, SP14, W2000 client
XE, SP15.1

Hi Jeremey,

Just too suggestion.

Suggestin No. 1:
================
1.) Designate an SY (System Code) to group all sets of values.
2.) Assign different RT (User Defined Code) for the different sets.
3.) Enter the values of the set as UDCs under SY/RT Code Type
4.) You need only one PO field to designate the set on the PO template. This should be based on RT.
5.) You can read through SY/RT values in the Init event and append the selections based on retrieved KY values. Here SY will be hard- coded while RT commes from the PO template.

Suggestin No. 2:
================
1.) Create a very simple custom table to store selections.
It requires only 2 field. One field for grouping together the values of set, with other word to identify the set - let's name it KEY. Other field could be based on your native DD item to store the values - let's name it VALUE.
2.) Create a really very simple custom APPL to maintain this table.
3.) Enter the values using this APPL.
4.) You need only one PO field to designate the set on the PO template. This should be based on KEY.
5.) You can read through the values in the Init event and append the selections based on retrieved VALUE values while you filter the table selection with KEY, which commes from the PO template.

Could one of the above suggestions work for you?

Good luck,

Zoltán

Creating a new table sounds like an idea. I'm going to get more info from the users, specifically do they want the ability to pick and choose what job codes they want, or will it be all inclusive of the incentive hours. (I know this is something I probably should have asked when they changed their story the 3 time around, but I didn't....so sue me!)

If it will be all inclusive then I might just include that table into a bsvw, and do as was suggested, read it in during the init, and append to data selection.

I will keep you posted. Thank you for the ideas!

Gratefully yours!

Jeremey Garcia
Greenville, SC, USA
Xe SP14; ES - AS/400; CO - AS/400; Deploy - NT Citrix - NT SP6; Report Distribution - Formscape;

Hi Jeremey again,

If you choose the "new table" method then here are some further hint for you.

1.) Use an informative field as KEY (e.g. 10 char long string), making possible for the user to identify the desired set.
2.) Create a new Data Dictionary item for your KEY field.
3.) Create two tables:
* one for KEY and a descriptions (KEY+DL01)
* one for values in the set (KEY+VALUE)
3.) Your APPL can contain four forms:
* an entry Find/Browse form to select a set to maintain or start to add a new set or delete a set.
* a Revision form to add a new set identifier (called from the previous form)
* a Headerless/Detail form for value maintenance (called from the previous form)
* a Search and Select form for set KEYs.
4.) Define the last form as Visual Assist on your custom KEY Data Item.
5.) Place your KEY custom Data Item onto the PO template.

and let us know your results, of course.

Good luck & work,

Zoltán

Bad news guys. I have been overruled. I provided the options that we could try and was told by the payroll department that we need to go with them using data selection. Their reasoning: it will be an enhancement over our current system. So much for me learning stuff during the process, guess I'll learn it on my own:)

I will still attempt to try what I said, but it might take me longer to get to it as other projects will be sent to my relatively empty plate. Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions and options. It was extemely helpful!

Jeremey Garcia
Greenville, SC, USA

Back