Job cost Module - construction job cost accounting

ClintLo

My company has been using the general ledger accounting module for years, but has decided to begin using the job cost module for construction accounting. From everything I have read from the job cost and general ledger manuals, the job cost accounts and the general ledger accounts seem to have a one to one direct relationship to each other. Does anyone have experience with the job cost accounting module and do I need to set up a new general ledger account for each job cost account I setup on the job cost module?

Thank you.

Clint

It's not just a one-to-one relationship, Clint. Job Cost accounts ARE GL accounts - they are just viewed differently when using the JC module. That means that every JC account consists of an F0901 record, a balance in the F0902, and detail in the F0911. The JC module looks at the GL records - there are really no transactional files in the JC system. They are all in the GL. It's not so much that Job Cost and the GL are tightly integrated - it's that they are really the same thing, like the three blind men and the elephant.

When you set up a job, the system will create the Job structures in the GL. That includes the Business Unit from Job Master creation, and the F0901 account master records when you set up the account in the Account Setup/Original Budget screens. There is no need to set them up separately when you create the job.

What you DO need to consider when setting up job cost are such things as; Will work in progress be considered capital work in progress in the GL, cost of goods, or expense? The numbering sequences used for your cost types need to be coordinated with your GL accordingly. How will the Chart Types be defined to enable the project managers to see cost in a meaningful way, while still enforcing some standardization across projects to enable performance comparisons and reusability of historical cost and budget information? How are subsidiary accounts used in general accounting, and how does that impact job costing?

If you experience with other ERP systems, like Mincom, you may be accustomed to the project costing transactions and structures stored in a separate table. You'll need to adjust your thinking a little bit to implement this in JDE.

No – when you set up an account via job cost it is created in GL. Job cost does not maintain its own accounts/balances it uses the GL accounts and balances (and transactions) but the two significant differences are (a) BU appears as JOB, and (b) obj.sub are transposed as sub.obj and appear as cost code.cost type.

In simple terms F0901, F0902 and F0911 are used by job cost but with differing logical views (table indexes) over the data. Job cost uses a different nomenclature to GL but is referring to the same “thing”

Thank you guys for your help on this issue. My IS department seemed to be certain that there was a way to use but just one account on the general ledger that would agree back to the total of the job costs. I told them that it appears the only way to do that would be to have a balance sheet report with a low level of detail.

Speaking of reports, the job cost module is woefully stocked with not very useable canned reports. Is there a database of better job cost reports that JDE users can access instead of reinventing the wheel?

Thanks again,

Clint

Back