JDE Tools upgrade issue: SP22 to SP23

michael k

Dear all,
We are planing upgrade JDE tools version cause the current tools release do not support IE 7.0
Our JDE version is EnterpriseOne Xe(B7333), tools release SP22. The OS version of ES/JAS server is AIX 5.1. Websphere version is 4.0. DB is Oracle 9.2.0.4(64bit)
We want upgrade tools version to latest SP23 or SP24.
From latest MTR for Xe, the AIX version are 5.3 and Websphere 6.0.
my questions is,
1. Can we upgrade jde tools from SP22 to SP23 base on the current AIX 5.1 and websphere 4.0?
2. What's the risk of upgrade sp22 to sp23 without upgrade OS of ES/JAS server and websphere?

Thank you!

Michael K.

[ QUOTE ]

1. Can we upgrade jde tools from SP22 to SP23 base on the current AIX 5.1 and websphere 4.0?
2. What's the risk of upgrade sp22 to sp23 without upgrade OS of ES/JAS server and websphere?

[/ QUOTE ]

Websphere 4? yikes - that is WAY out of support by Oracle and IBM. If you want IE7 or IE8 to work, you need to get up to WAS 6 and a current flavor of JAVA as well as upgrading your tools release. To get to IE8, take a look at SP24 (I think it's supported, if not, it will be). If you are aiming at IE7, SP23 will do the job. I'm at a Windows/Intel shop, so I won't offer any suggestions on AIX.

I bumped up my webserver to WAS 6 and SP23U back in the spring. We are currently looking at dumping WAS and going to OAS for the web server. We have that running for XE in Asia, and it's almost up and running for North America.

- Gregg

The short answers to your questions are:

PERHAPS --> results would be unknown as JDE only tests what is current at the time. More than likely you won't be able to install on WAS 4.0

UNKNOWN --> Not likely to work.

Most of the 3rd party products that you're running were expired 4 years ago. Since IBM stopped supporting AIX 5.1 and WAS 4.0 many years JDE can not support these.

You're facing an all to famaliar situation of everything being out of date so the only real safe way to do this is to bring in a new Enterprise Server running AIX 6.1, Migrate to Oracle 11g, Upgrade to WAS 6.1 and Tools Release SP24.X.

Looking at how out-of0date your products are it might be time to start thinking about upgrading to EnterpriseOne 9.0 and then bring in new hardware at this time.

Otherwise you'll need to upgrade AIX, WAS and the JDE Tools Release all at the same time on the same weekend - a very big bang.

If you find someone who archives the MTR's (me) and has older copies of some of the JDE tools releases you might be able to phase this in but for now I think you're stuck at IE 6.0.

Colin

I'm going to echo the comments left by the other posters - theres no way that anyone would know whether WAS4.0 would work with the latest Service packs.

Since you're an AIX shop, however, one thing to consider if you are considering a big change - maybe you should consider putting together a Linux WAS or OAS server instead of plumping down lots of $$$ for later versions of AIX ? A number of customers I know of use AIX as the database server platform, and Linux as the front-end Web Server platform - it works very, very well and doesn't require the proprietary hardware costs...

Just my 2c

[ QUOTE ]
You're facing an all to famaliar situation of everything being out of date so the only real safe way to do this is to bring in a new Enterprise Server running AIX 6.1, Migrate to Oracle 11g, Upgrade to WAS 6.1 and Tools Release SP24.X.

Looking at how out-of date your products are it might be time to start thinking about upgrading to EnterpriseOne 9.0 and then bring in new hardware at this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a much pricier option than trying to upgrade services packs and software releases, but it's also the smart thing to do. With as many upgrades as you are facing, it is a far smarter (and safer) for you to start with some current hardware and bring your company up to code current. Otherwise there is a big risk of taking the whole thing down and screwing up production.

- Gregg

1) Having just attempted upgrading a site from SP22_T1 to SP23_X1 on AIX 5.1, I can tell you that it absolutely will not work. There is something that SP23 is looking for, that is simply not present at AIX 5.1. Your PORTTEST will fail with "unable to find symbol" errors.

2) The others have covered it already, but I will repeat to emphasize the point. Nobody knows if the JAS portion of SP23 will even install on WebSphere 4.0, much less work. Heck, there isn't even a download available for WebSphere 5.0.

Here's something else for you to consider: what one-off of SP22 do you have? They changed the password encryption algorithm starting with SP22_P1 and afterwards, so if you are on a one-off from before P1, you will also have to take some ESUs to handle the new password encryption scheme.

Thank you all for your information.

We have decided upgrade to SP23/SP24 next year and upgrade hardware/OS/WAS at same time.

Back