JDE on Linux

altquark

altquark

Legendary Poster
This is probably the biggest announcement I have seen yet from JDE - bigger than UDB support and certainly bigger than Solaris support in 1998.

Good for the new guy is what I say !

Looking forward to seeing FreeBSD support as well.

J.D. Edwards Announces Linux Support
Fri Jun 14, 1:39 PM ET
Kimberly Hill, www.CRMDaily.com

J.D. Edwards ( Nasdaq: JDEC - news) announced support for the Linux ( news - web sites) operating system platform and described its vision for a comprehensive supplier relationship management (SRM) suite at its annual user group conference this week.

• J.D. Edwards Adds Marketing Tech
• J.D. Edwards Expansion Feeds Outsourcing Trend
• J.D. Edwards Launches Web Services Suite

CEO Bob Dutkowsky told CRMDaily.com that the company will begin its foray into SRM with already-developed applications and then "fill in the blanks" through partnerships, in-house development or acquisitions.

"We look at acquisitions every single day," he said. "We ended the second quarter with US$400 million in cash on hand and no debt. We're in a position where we certainly can make acquisitions if we thought that would allow us to get to market faster."

Cozying Up With IBM

Building on its long-standing relationship with partner IBM ( NYSE: IBM - news), J.D. Edwards also announced plans to offer its CRM applications built on a Linux-based infrastructure from the computing giant, beginning with a specialized vertical offering for the financial services industry.

Aberdeen Group research director Karen Smith told CRMDaily that she thinks more and more firms will announce Linux support in the coming months, even though it appears to be a "down time."

"They definitely don't see Linux as dead," she stressed.

Dutkowsky said that he believes the effort will give his company's staff "practical experience" in Linux, even though there has not been much demand.

"Honestly," he said, "we're not hearing much from our customers on Linux. But one of our important business partners, IBM, has made a commitment to Linux, and this is a great way for us to learn more about it."

Five Easy Pieces

The company said that to deliver SRM functionality it will leverage its ERP, advanced planning and supplier applications, as well as existing product partnerships with such companies as Ariba ( Nasdaq: ARBA - news), MatrixOne ( Nasdaq: MONE - news) and Agile.

Going forward, J.D. Edwards said it will make additional SRM enhancements to support the management of the five key functions of the supplier lifecycle: design, plan, source, fulfill and settle.

Smith said that she views J.D. Edwards' entry into the SRM space as a positive step, especially if it means a focus on partner relationship management.

The Big Fish

Dutkowsky said J.D. Edwards is not abandoning its target of many years -- the mid-market in manufacturing and related services. The company is considering targeting some much larger enterprises, as well.

Those companies that would be likely prospects would fit the profile of some of J.D. Edwards' current big-fish customers, like Johnson & Johnson ( NYSE: JNJ - news), which have multiple divisions and thus operate, according to Dutkowsky, like an enterprise composed of "lots of smaller companies."

"When a global 1000 customer calls J.D. Edwards," he said, "we'll sell them our product aggressively and with the confidence that we can support their needs. When we go into a market, however, we'll look for large enterprises with a special profile."

I haven't really had time to absorb the news but I get the idea that this only covers CRM and not OneWorld?

My source tells me that OneWorld, minus a couple third party libraries,has been ported to Linux for a couple of years, but it hasn't been marketed...

Actually, I don't think entirely so.

J.D. Edwards announced support for the Linux operating system platform and described its vision for a comprehensive supplier relationship management

If JDE are going to correct the above statement with "we only announced linux for CRM" - then they need to check their grammer (jde supports linux AND describes vision...)

Secondly, announcement on ZDNet today states differently :

"J.D. Edwards embraces Linux

By Stephen Shankland
Special to ZDNet News
June 13, 2002, 2:50 PM PT

Business software maker J.D. Edwards is embracing the open-source Linux operating system with a new version of its software that lets companies keep track of their customers.

The company's customer relationship management software package will be the FIRST of its programs to be brought to Linux, spokesman Tim Stack said Wednesday. The Linux version of the package is due later this year. "

Interestingly enough, they have opted for SuSE as the main distribution - a german distribution ???

This is on the jdedwards.com website:

http://www.jdedwards.com/public/0,1921,0%7E87%7E6032,00.html

J.D. Edwards Announces Plans to Deliver CRM on Linux

I agree that they did say that it is the "first" offering, implying that more will follow but I believe that this is purely marketing garbage. In this, they are acting like MS to 'freeze' decisions because they imply that more is to come and you shouldn't make a decision until you see what we have coming. Until I see it, I consider anything other than the CRM Linux offering vaporware. As a matter of fact, until I see the CRM offering work on Linux, it's vaporware too. I don't mean to sound too cynical but I, like many IT professionals, have grown tired of the hype.

As to the choice of distro, could you provide a link confirming this? I also find the choice of what is commonly seen as the European distro as odd.

JDE is good at the marketing garbage stuff (I agree whole heartedly with you
Brother).

I am still waiting to see what .NET announcement meant at Focus two years
ago... Anyone know what it meant? I have yet to see any .net anything
visioned into JDE... hmmm.... Still waiting...

Daniel Bohner

Great news.

SuSE is the only one Oracle 9i supports, so JDE did not have any choice
here...

Regards,

Alexander Pastuhov
Senior Technology Consultant
J.D. Edwards Australia

Re: RE: JDE on Linux

In light of the fact that it is no secret that JDE wishes to seperate itself from Oracle databases, I kinda doubt the distro choice was made based on what Oracle supports.  You could very well be right but it does not make sense to me.

Brother Of Karamazov

Back