JDE EnterpriseOne 8.10 Tools 8.96.2 vs Windows 7 vs XP vs VirtualBox

Eric Perron

Hi,

We are running JDE EnterpriseOne 8.10 with Tools Release 8.96.2 (I know, it is an old version but.......)

I had a FAT Client installed on my computer running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2.

I recently upgraded my computer from XP Pro SP2 to Windows 7 and looks like my FAT client is no longer working. Is it normal. What version of JDE and/or Tools release is Windows 7 compatible. I tried to find it on Oracle knowledge garden but could not find it.

When I saw that my FAT client was no longer working on Windows 7, I installed virtual box on my windows 7 and created a VM with XP Pro on it. I've been surprised to see that I could not install my FAT client on the VM because the installation program was failling.

Are you aware of a compatibility problem between JDE 8.10 TR 8.96.2 and XP running in a VM

I remebered that I installed XP with service pack 3 instead of sp2 can it be the cause of the problem ?

Thanks for any help.

Eric,

We are having the exact same issue. We are attempting to move all PC's off of XP to Windows 7, but the fat client issue may change that plan for a few PC's. We have a few W7 machines set up in VM, and I have installed one path code, but can't install another. I get an 'unable to create a file that already exists' error, and it quits. It may be a simple permissions issue, or something bigger. Oracle doesn't support W7 yet for any E1 versions but XE. Vista is supported, but we're not going that route.

Does anyone have any insight or 'white paper' to instruct on the fat client install issues we're seeing?

Thanks,

Vernon

Honestly, you are going down a path that you don't want to go.

If you are still on fat clients (like we are), you should either stick with XP or upgrade your JDE instance to something that has a proper web client. Instead of using virtual box, you can use XP Mode on Windows 7 pro (which you likely have, since you need it to join a domain). However, have you thought about what you have done?

You've now created two client instances per PC. Each of them needs to automatically update, etc, and the XP instance will still lose support shortly (I think the date is 2014).

On a more cheerful note, I have not encountered any issues between using XP SP2 or SP 3. I am on SP2 - but you will need to check the minimum tech requirements.

We are mixed fat/web clients here but until I think 8.11, you don't get a multi threaded web server which means its pretty, but its slow as heck.

Good luck

Malcolm

[ QUOTE ]

I recently upgraded my computer from XP Pro SP2 to Windows 7 and looks like my FAT client is no longer working. Is it normal. What version of JDE and/or Tools release is Windows 7 compatible. I tried to find it on Oracle knowledge garden but could not find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just answered your own question - you looked on the knowledge jungle and could not find which version supports windows 7, because NO VERSION supports windows 7 at this point.

Suggestion - hardware is cheap, hacks and workarounds are not. Buy another PC with windows XP and do your development on that until Oracle certifies Windows 7. That beats the heck out trying to troubleshoot a non-supported solution.

- Gregg

My vote is Windows 7 Pro with XP Mode. Give it a try; I think you'll be pleasantly suprised. What have you got to lose? You already own it.

Gregg

MTR now states that windows 7 is supported with SP24.1.0 (XE)

You might want to look at the MTR's again. They've been updated with Windows 7.

However, the MTR plainly states that the account running Oneworld MUST be set up as "run as administrator"

[ QUOTE ]
Gregg

MTR now states that windows 7 is supported with SP24.1.0 (XE)

You might want to look at the MTR's again. They've been updated with Windows 7.

However, the MTR plainly states that the account running Oneworld MUST be set up as "run as administrator"

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the update Jon. As of the the time of my post, they did not support windows 7 yet.

Back