JDE CNC role disappearing?

Fewer JDE CNCs needed due to SaaS, less on-prem, and consolidation of managed services providers?

• No - We need More CNC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jdeKernel

Originally JD Edwards had a clear methodology that defined specific roles involved in the implementation of EnterpriseOne.

The ERP 9.x implementation methodology defines specific roles that are involved in the design, installation, and configuration of an ERP 9.x solution. These roles are generally divided into four implementation teams:
- Technology – installation and upgrades, system administration, security, change management
- Development – data conversions, interfaces, custom modifications
- Functional – business process, application configuration, integration and testing, end-user training
- Systems Integration – data center design, hardware support, network infrastructure, 3rd party software"

However, recently I noticed job listings for JDE CNC in the USA have essentially disappeared, while listings for developers and functional analysts still exist. I realize a lot of JDE CNC work has been shifted to other countries (India, Mexico, etc.). I have also seen some job descriptions that include JDE CNC (and even Oracle DBA) as just another set of skills, like server and middleware administration.

Assuming the current lack of JDE CNC job listings is not just part of the general hangover after the tech hiring spree during the pandemic or a normal slowdown due to recession fears:

1) Is this the natural progression of having more JDE E1 as SaaS, fewer on-premise systems, and consolidation of Oracle partners providing managed services?

2) Has the software evolved to a point where the application administration function performed JDE CNC is just another set of skills to be combined with administration of servers, database, middleware and other applications?

Oracle's not actively selling JD Edwards, net new implementations are unicorns. Most of the project work is either long "dormant" instances being upgraded and shifted to the cloud, or in place tools upgrades (in particular, hardware refreshes.) "Active" CNC work gets outsourced to Managed Service providers. It's not looking great, but hasn't for a long time.

For the last 15 years i (or we) can't complain, at least here in western europe. It's not like there's any signs of us having LESS work to do, it's rather the other way round and i'd like to have one or two people more on my CNC team.

Concerning your points:
1) I'd say yes, especially considering cloud migrations and the "new" tasks of business analysts (that i've seen doing essentially CNC tasks). Outsourcing to managed services providers who do just that is probably cheaper and thus a very logical step as the classic CNC role vanishes and there's virtually no CNC on the job market.

2) For us, it's always been like that, we never just did CNC tasks. For me it's also an opener for the CNC position., which doesn't exist as i said, so there's no sense in searching for a CNC here. Get a sysadmin, DBA or similar and have them peek into JDE and assimilate them :devilish:

jdekernel,

I agree with MFreitag's comments.

During the 25 years I worked with JDE I did everything - CNC, Development, support etc. If we needed JDE expertise that I did not have we outsourced it. We had server and database administrators across multiple applications, not just JDE. When the university migrated to Oracle (Storm) Cloud ERP, there was a a number of projects on my "to do" list. These were never started.

1) Is this the natural progression of having more JDE E1 as SaaS, fewer on-premise systems, and consolidation of Oracle partners providing managed services? This seems to be the way installations and support seem to be moving, and not just with JDE. When the university migrated to Oracle (Storm) Cloud ERP it was a SaaS product - installation and support were outsourced. This also tends to limit the amount of development that can be done. With Oracle (Storm) Cloud ERP, there is no development of the actual product. Any development has to be done outside the product. This requires a more generic set of development skills.

2) Has the software evolved to a point where the application administration function performed JDE CNC is just another set of skills to be combined with administration of servers, database, middleware and other applications? That has always been my experience. As I mentioned above, during the 25 years I worked with JDE I did everything - CNC, Development, support etc. However I'm aware of larger installations with more users and development that needed full time CNC and Development resources. So how and if CNC skills are combined with other skills and applications is highly subjective. It depends on the individual organisations and how they install and use JDE (number of users and especially the amount development) and what other applications they use and how they are integrated, including SaaS and outsourcing options.

Back