E8.12 JDE 8.12 Macro Tool connection

JustNil

Hello, Everyone. :)

I hope this message finds you well. I am new to this community and eager to expand my knowledge in automation. Currently, I am working with a JDE 8.12 system, and I have a specific report (R5703B802) that I would like to automate using a VBA macro tool in Microsoft Excel.

I have already requested an Oracle account in our database and once approved, I will be able to establish a connection using SQL Developer application. However, I am unsure about the specific forms/controls I need to set up in my tool to run this report, as it requires filling up parameters on three subsequent screens.

I am reaching out to seek guidance and insights from experienced members on how I can achieve this automation effectively. Any help or advice on navigating the JDE screens, invoking the report's Business Function, and extracting the data would be highly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance for your valuable input, and I look forward to being an active member of this community.

Hello JustNil! Welcome!!!
I am not so sure about your inquire, if you are planning to connect the DB to the Excel, or if you want the output of your report to be opened from Excel!?
For DB, you can look for ODBC, SQL Connection, Oracle DB, etc, and build a connection to the DB (user/pw/hostname/port/servicename/etc) and get the data you want to by table/view etc. The issue normally is the amount of data to be read and this normally consumes a lot of memory and takes too long. If you want the UBE (report mentioned) displayed in Excel, due to the 8.12, I guess you could change it to have csv output or you can go via BIPublisher and use the TL format to have outputs in Excel w/ a template specifically designed for Excel 97-2003.

Hello JustNil! Welcome!!!
I am not so sure about your inquire, if you are planning to connect the DB to the Excel, or if you want the output of your report to be opened from Excel!?
For DB, you can look for ODBC, SQL Connection, Oracle DB, etc, and build a connection to the DB (user/pw/hostname/port/servicename/etc) and get the data you want to by table/view etc. The issue normally is the amount of data to be read and this normally consumes a lot of memory and takes too long. If you want the UBE (report mentioned) displayed in Excel, due to the 8.12, I guess you could change it to have csv output or you can go via BIPublisher and use the TL format to have outputs in Excel w/ a template specifically designed for Excel 97-2003.

Hello Cribeiro,

Thank you so much for your reply, and I apologize for any confusion in my initial inquiry. I appreciate your help!

To clarify, I have already managed to connect SQL Developer to the Database of JDE, so I have access to the necessary credentials (user/pw/hostname/port/servicename/etc).

Now, my goal is to build a macro tool in Excel that can run a specific report in JDE. However, I'm unsure where to start and how to proceed. Is it possible to use a macro tool to run a report in JDE using the information I have (user/pw/hostname/port/servicename/etc)?

I've also come across an option to run a report in JDE by typing the report name in "Submit Job." From what I found during my research, some people use URLs to achieve this, but it appears that the JDE URL might be protected and not directly accessible for copying.

If you have any insights or suggestions on how to proceed with building the macro tool or any other approaches to automate running a report in JDE from Excel, I would be extremely grateful. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

BR,
JustNil :)

Back