installation of Update hangs 30 minutes

André Hébert

Hi

when i install an update package it hangs at 2 places
when searching for components already installed AND in the first progress bar at 96%

the installion then is sucessful ...

we run Oneworld XE on a W2k Citrix MF xp

Thanks

All,

We found this to be the result of Virus Protection. There is a catch however (I don't know if this is the same on all Virus Protection software, we are using Symantec). If we stopped the Anti-virus service via services, the packages would still take a very long time to deploy. We had to disable realtime protection from within the Virus Protection itself, leaving the Anti-virus service running. This allowed the package to deploy much more quickly. Some updates were taking 45 minutes to an hour to deploy, now they take less than 1 minute. Seems like the Real Time Protection stays active even if the service is stopped, but it truely is turned off if you use the Anti-Virus application to disable real-tiem protection.

I also read that you should disable all mapped network drives, as there is a step that says "searching for previous installation".

Andre

Look for my script under "Tips and Tricks" - and use the Silent Install (command line) method. Believe me, its a LOT LOT faster - it doesn't need to go out "looking for components already installed" since you tell it where to install ! In a Citrix Farm as well, its important to have something that works well, is predictable and can be launched quickly from the command line.

Edit - looks like it didn't go into Tips and Tricks - so heres a link to the actual page.

Hope that helps.

Back