IBM Websphere 5 - Application Server or Ent Server?

rjsehm

Hey all, we're planning our upgrade path from XE Update 8 to ERP 8.10 and we plan to use the web client quite heavily (it will be all you can use come ERP 11). As such, we're looking into licensing for IBM Websphere 5.x and I was wondering what version is necessary to make this happen? Should we go with the Application Server or the Enterprise Server version of Websphere 5.x?

Windows 2000/2003 shop

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

If you are upgrading to E1 8.10, I don't believe you have a choice, as you will be forced to purchase the technology foundation that will include WAS 5.0.X, portal, Domino, etc.. And with that, you will get the WAS Enterprise Edition, which is needed to run JAS.

The WAS license will cover it's use on as many servers, with as many processors, as you like, as long as they are only used in conjunction with E1. The only time you'll need to worry about licensing is if you wish to leverage your WAS and/or portal installation to run anything non-E1 related.

Regards,

So the technology foundation is a requirement? Do you have a link from PPS's website discussing this? I can't seem to find much about this requirement.

We have been getting quotes from our software distributors on the Websphere product, since this is how we did it when we first rolled into XE. Has this philosophy changed with the takeover from PPS?

Actually a change in philosophy from the old JD Edwards. It was always the intent to allow clients to choose in the ERP 8.0 version, but require the tech foundation purchase with 8.9 and above. With the recent announcement of the joint partnership with IBM, I don't see that policy changing.

Your CE will be able to verify this information and get you any documentation you need. I know for sure that any new clients have no choice, and I'm almost 99% sure that if you are upgrading to 8.9 or 8.10 you must purchase it as well.

Regards,

What is interesting is that I just called PPS and they said that because we're licensed for ERP 8.10, we're also entitled to Tech Foundation at no additional charge. We just need to place the order with them. It just doesn't seem right, but who knows?

Any insight on that?

LOL, that's great, they said "it's free". Trust me, you had to cut a nice big software licensing agreement, the cost of tech foundation was just part of that charge. But you did confirm for me that tech foundation is indeed part of every 8.10 software contract.

I may be old and cranky, but I still get to smile once in awhile, and that "free" statement is a hoot.

Regards,

hey - I just ordered 8.10 for my customer. Hopefully I'll get my "free" websphere too !!!

You did it again...carbonated beverage up the nostril!!!

;)

Funny how some people perceive "free".

Thanks bud...

Back