Holey Inserts

Its not on sale

Reputable Poster
Holey inserts is a feature of AS400. It is activated by using a call to api QDBENCWT.

I am wondering if somebody has any further info about it. PS support says that JDE comes pre-installed with holey inserts enabled. From them it seems like it table by table but I am still not sure.

I would like to know if there are any drawback of turning that on. Any further information is greatly appreciated.

For those who not know, Holey inserts allows you to insert multiple records in the file at the same time. For example 5 batch job running can insert records into the same file at same instance where as without it turn on each job helds an exclusive lock on the file on each insert and other job wait till the lock is released.

Regards

The primary downside of holey inserts is that if you’re journaling, some of the journal records’ ordinal numbers (e.g., count) can be out of sequence. This shouldn’t be a problem with high-availability software.

Yeah, I also saw lot of PTFs at IBM website. I am surprised though that I cannot find any information on this API. I searched the whole publications but nothing.

My question is that, is it file by file or it is system wide. If it is file by file and jde has it turned on , do they have a table where they keep which file is holey insert enabled.

Setting is system wide, but you need to check on each file if it has Reuse Deleted Records turned on to *YES. You can check this by executing:

DSPFD mylib/myfile

and checking if REUSEDLT parameter is set to *YES or not.

I don’t believe JDE has any tables with this specific information. There are ways to use DSPFD to the entire library and you can then query the resulting output file for which physical files have REUSEDLT set to *YES and which do not.

Okay that is good to know thanks for the information. Now how does one check whether this API has been called and holey insert is enable on any specific AS400. Is there a system value which gets set or how does one know since its system wide.

I mean you might not wana call it again thinking that it has not be set and you turn it off by calling it again. You know.

Anybody have any idea where to check for this global value ?

Back