Getting data from Unix to OneWorld Z-File on AS/400

pomegran

Hi,

I am currently involved in a project where we want to interface data from a legacy system on Unix to OneWorld on AS/400.

Has anybody got any suggestions about how this could be done? Do we have any other choice apart from ftp'ing files across and running a table conversion into a Z-File?

Thanks in advance
Mark

The z-file approach is 'probably' the safest and best tried to be true...

Another alternative is EDI - but that is very z-like, too.

We could offer alternate suggestion (but you need to let us know more about what's on the unix box; database...).

When Data is fed into JDE, many tables can be populated. The z-processes take care of all that, making it less of an effort. You will fight an uphill battle using manual processes...

db

ps - add your configuration to the profile, and you'll never have to type it again....

Thanks for that.

Well, I don't know the SP we're on yet but it's XE, a recent SP release and on AS/400.

Regarding our other system, it's a Progress database (MFG/PRO) and running on HP-UX.

There was never any doubt we would only go to Z-files but there are real limits on what you can use on table conversions as import file names (seems to be fixed) so I was trying to write directly to the Z-files from the unix box.

We could be transferring a fair few files a minute which, if using file manipulation and table conversions could be really slow (that's not even including the UBE to convert the Z-File records!).

I thought maybe using a small Java app on the unix box to connect to the AS/400 using JDBC (not even sure if this is technically possible).

Not sure at this point, we will have to do some prototyping to get some more ideas out in the open.

And I haven't even got onto data coming the other way yet (!)

Thanks for the response.

Mark

Back