Flex Format Setup (P0907)

Pragati

As you know, an account is made of 3 segments – BusinessUnit . Object . Subsidiary
In job cost this translates to Job Number . CostType . CostCode
The maximum lengths in DD of each of the above segments can be:
Business Unit (MCU) = 12
Object (OBJ) = 6
Subsidiary (SUB) = 8

However, you can also define the maximum lengths of each of the above in Flex Account Format (Under G094111 à Flex Format Setup). When our system was setup, the lengths in the above program were setup as follows: (DD remains unchanged at its original values):
Job Number (or Business Unit) = 5
Cost Type (or Object Account) = 5
Cost Code (or Subsidiary) = 6

We now wish to implement Job Cost and we want to change the Cost Code (Subsidiary) field to be 8 digits. I looked at some of the solutions posted on the Oracle website and came up with some pretty intimidating resolutions. (see following Solutions for more details – Solution IDs: 200782633 and 200784151).

My dilemma is whether I can go in and increase the length of the subsidiary or whether I am stuck with 6 digits.

While giving your answer, please keep in mind that I will not be changing the lengths of any of the existing accounts which have transactions/balances.

Hi,

I cannot tell you this is something you can easily do without running any
risks ... I'm simply telling you my 2 cents opinion:
setup you are talking about is store in F0907 and seems to me linked to the
way how JDE is going to build ANI data (Account Number - 29 digits) from MC U
+ OBJ + SUB fields.
Thus it's something linked (see XX0901 BF) to account conversion between on e
format an another.
In the standard setup you are running the following structure:
Position / Description
' ' - Account Mode
12 - Business Unit
'.' - separator
6 - Object Account
'.' - separator
8 - Subsidiary

In other words: 1+12+1+6+1+8 =3D 29

If you are going to extend subsidiary field from 6 to 8 (we are talking
about F0907 setup ONLY ! and not about Data Dictionary setup !!!) you are
IMHO running any risks since it's the last field in ANI data item. That
makes sense while you are not currently live with Job Cost (module 51).
It would be different if you will decide to extend Object Account (OBJ data
alias) from 5 to 6 since you will need to change ANI data all over your
database.

Please test everything I just told you !

Ciao,

Carlo

2008/3/14, Pragati <[email protected]>:
m was
s
ed
ns.
nd

Hi
I'm not a CNC or Technical expert to suggest this. However i think it is worth exploring the suggestion that i give u. Since you have not gone live on Job cost it is better to start JC from a new accounting year. I would suggest you to create a new environmeng and create new account codes with the new BU+obj+sub format that will suit your JC needs also. Once this is done you can complete the necessary setups and then map the old A/C to the new one. Once your account master is complete you can transfer your old balances and open items into new environment. This i c comparitively lesser risk of course this subect to system and technical constraints. Wish u good luck

Thanks for the response. I am not changing any DD values. Only values that were setup in P0907.

Back