Financial Reports: Hidden Data Selection

AndrewCrouse

I have been given the task of making some changes to the Balance sheet R10111B.

The problem I am having is with the data selection for this report. The Business View for this Report is V8300001, which is a join between F0901/F0902/F0006.

This seems straight forward, I Modified the data selection to select the account range we needed and ran the report. After running the report we had discovered that it was missing some accounts. After doing some digging we found that the report would only display accounts that were attached to Business Units that were flagged as "BS" (Balance Sheet). We have some accounts attached to Business Unit types "IS" (Income Statement) but we still wanted them on the Balance Sheet report. Even though the accounts we wanted to see were within our data selection they would not appear, because they were not of type “BS”.

The report makes no reference to the Business Unit Type (MCSTYL), yet it seems to be hard coded somewhere as part of the data selection.

Is there some other way of modifying the data selection of the report other than the data selection and event rules (SetUserSelection) ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I believe what is causing this is the set up of your General purpose accounts (GLG* AAI's). These are the account number ranges that go on each different type of financial report. Check documentation for managing financial statements and reports.
Not sure you can modify these AAI's to get to your intended purpose. There are reasons why balance sheet accounts do not show up on income statement reports and visa versa. I'll leave that discussion to the more financially-inclined users.
In any case, you can possibly add new sections of your own to accomplish your needs. And yes, this will include using event rules.
Regards,
Dave

Hi Andrew

When the report was initially designed, one of the screens in the report director would havel asked for a global data selection setting. One of the options is to base the report on Balance Sheet accounts or Income statement accounts. As Dave already wrote, the director automatically will translate this through the usage of GLG-AAI's into an account range. However this data selection is not set in concrete. You can make any changes you like after the director has completed.
However beware that in financial reports there are three levels of data selection (four, if you include the system function for data selection in the ER). Data selection by section is generally set up through the director. But every row and column you set up have their own data selection. Make sure that all three levels 'work' together and that one data selection doesn't cancel the other.

Good luck,

Back