Fast Path in World and Menu Masking

M Berggren

In regards to the following Solution, can anyone confirm this? I was previously under the impression that if you type in any "P" object (i.e. P0092) that World would execute P0092, regardless of menu masking. Is there anyone that knows any more information about this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Solution ID: Solution Type: Standard 200953878
Solution Library: World Technical/Tools
Summary: Fast Path and Menu Mask security Details: Fast Path and Menu Mask security

PROBLEM:
If I grant my users access to Fast Path, will my users be able to bypass Menu Masking?

RESOLUTION:
No, Menu Masks will supersede Fast Path authority.

SEARCH TEXT:
Fast Path
Menu Mask
Security

Release: A73, A81
Platform: iSeries, AS/400

Maureen,

World Fastpath only uses acronyms stored in a UDC 00/FP. For example AAI relates to 15/G00 (which means option 15 off menu G00).

This means that as long as menu masking is applied to 15/G00 then AAIs are secured via Fastpath. By the way, because the acronyms are stored in a 00/FP, when the user presses F13 to see all available Fastpaths they will still see AAI as an available option. But, if they are masked from 15/G00, they will not be authorised to run that option.

Typing in the program name, i.e P0092 as a Fastpath option, would only work in World if somebody had added P0092 as an acronym to the 00/FP UDC. In OneWorld you do only have to type the program name; maybe there is some confusion between the products?

Hope this helps!

The Menu Mask on the Menu Option the Fasthpath is pointing to will be in
effect, if there is one. This value is checked against any users trying
to use this Fastpath command.
Example: If you have lets say a Fastpath command called AB for Address
Book and it points to Menu G01 Option 02. On Menu G01 Option 02 has a 1
in the A field (Sel Lock area). If a user who has Fastpath command
access has his value set to a 2 thru 9, they would not be able to use
the Fastpath command AB. The hierarchy is (highest to lowest) Blank, *,
A thru Z and 0 thru 9.

I hope this helps some.
Jim Rubino
Senior Programmer Analyst
FIKE CORPORATION (r)
704 South 10th Street
Blue Springs, Mo. 64015
* Direct Dial - (816) 655-4579
* Or - (816) 229-6216 Ext. 1079
* [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
world Software Technical Editor for JDEtips

Maureen,

I re-read my post and realised that it was not entirely accurate. I used to be an instructor so I am a bit pedantic!!

I said: "World Fastpath only uses acronyms stored in a UDC 00/FP". Not true. World Fast Path consists of two elements:

1) Super Fast Path (Mnemonics) - for example, DD for Data Dictionary (these values are stored in the 00/FP UDC)
2) Fast Path - for example, 4/G92 typed on the command line will take the user straight to option 4 on Menu G92.

See Page 2-13 of the "Technical Foundation for World Software" for more info.

As I stated before; Menu masking will stop people accessing masked Menu selections when the user uses Fastpath, or even "Super" Fastpath. As long as you have masked all instances of a particular application, the users won't access it via Fastpath.

I told you I was a Pedant!!
grin.gif

Back