Excluding Objects - Migration 8.9 to 8.12

kipkingle

I was wondering if any CNC migration experts could help me with a quick little best practice tip? A developer that I work with would like to obsolete an object. (Not delete it.) Typically, if you create an object and do not have any further use for it, you just delete the object and promote it up the food chain. In this case though, the user wants the unused object to be available so they can view or copy it, but they don’t want this object to be moved over in the next upgrade. I was trying to come up with the best approach to fit this need, but I’m not that familiar what flags are used during the pathcode migration. One approach that I though of was to update the Omit Option (OL9.F9860.OMIT) flag to an “X” on the object itself and tell our CNC migrators to ignore those objects when we move to 8.12. Do you think this is a good idea? Can the migration applications support exclusions?

Thanks..

KipKingle,

For the objects that you do not want to transfer over to 8.12, flag the objects with the do not merge flag (option 2). Then when you do the migration to 8.12, it will pass over those objects.

Gregg

In addition to Greg's suggestion change the System Code to 88 (Obsolete).

My System Code "88" (SYR:F9860) is described as "Cautious Purge System", not "Obsolete". Is there something special about the code "88" that the migration programs will use to bi-pass these objects or will I have to tell my migration folks to not migrate those objects whose system code is "88" and omit option equals "X"?

Back