EP One 8.9 and MRP

JHD

We are in the final stages of configuring our MRP solution and i would like validation of our plan if you could. This is a bit long and sorry for that but i'm doing my best to describe the process i believe we've settled on.

Here is what we want ultimately.
1) MRP consume forecast
2) MRP/MPS driven by actual orders and forecast

We haven't quite figured out how to make MPS actually consume the forecast even though we've been messing arround with forecat consumption buckets. But anyway without further words here's the plan please advise of holes or pitfalls.

MRP Planning parameters

In order to properly manage Forecast consumption at the top level, the Planning Fence Rule must be set at H and the Planning fence at 999. This leaves us only a few options to explore. Particularly, the Planning code and the MRP Generation type will control our MPS and MRP calculation. In research it became obvious that we cannot plan all items the same way. Our goal is to plan the finished items against the master schedule, setting the customer orders to deduct from the forecast on a one-for-one basis, and then explode the production requirements against the master schedule.

For the top level items, Planning Code should be set at 1. This determines that the items are planned by MPS. For these PC 1 items we can run either Generation type 1 or Generation type 5 MPS. Both these represent a single level analysis of master schedule against firm demand (customer orders) and adjusted forecast (as noted above). Type 1 will generate messages suggesting adjustments to the schedule (quantity up or down, defer or expedite), where type 5 assumes that the Master schedule is 100% accurate and considers it frozen. Type 5 will not generate any messages except ‘Order Past Due’. Either type will create a firm top level requirement. If type 1 is selected, we should consider setting the defer and expedite message time fences so that no messages are created inside a final (probably at least one week) plan. This planning run would only look at Planning Code 1 items and would clear the message tables.

Components should be set as Planning Code 2 (planned by MRP), Planning Rule C (customer demand) and with a time fence that represents the shortest amount of time in which we would want to consolidate requirements. Note Planning rule C (called Customer Demand) is a misnomer. This is really an analysis of firm, or actual, demand not necessarily ‘customer demand’ and in our case this demand is derived from the master schedule created in our first planning run for the top level items. Generation type would be 3. Type 3 is a full top down explosion based on the top level demand. Again this demand has been set by our planning run creating the master schedule above. For this planning run, messages would not be deleted but simply added to, retaining the messages for the top level items and adding additional messages for the components.

The minimum order quantity, multiple order quantity and safety stock values for each item need to be reviewed. Some of my test items had minimum and multiples that drove excess production against the fixed schedule. For example, with a rate schedule for fifty, these parameters set at 100 would drive production for 100, half of which may not be needed. Minimum and multiples should be set at 1 (or null) and a safety stock requirement set if there is concern there will be demand bubbles that could not be supplied in time.

It may be possible to also use the first planning run, Generation type 1, to plan the requirements for the Aftermarket items as using this type is recommended for Distribution Resource Planning(DRP). This filter can be set for that planning run.

there please advise and examples of consuption planning would be helpful the manual has failed to be.

thanks

Dear JHD,

To fully go into your situation would require to much time. But try the
following set up.

For top level (MPS) items, Rule H and planning code 1.
Set up MRP version with generation type 4 and data selection on planning
code 1.

For other items, planning code 2.
Set up MRP version with generation type 5 and data selection on planning
code 2.

Procedure is now first run gen-type 4 MRP and action messages of the MPS
items. Make sure WO are created (messages are processed).
The WO you have now make up you master production schedule.
Next run the gen-type 5 MRP and verify results.

I expect this will get you near to your requirements.

Kind regards,
Saskia

Back
Top Bottom