E1 compatibility with Solaris upgrade

Nita

Hi all
I have searched around without success for detailed info on this subject. Also have a SR open with Oracle.

We currently have our ES on a SunSPARC box running Solaris 9 and our DS is on newer hardware running Solaris 10. Support is ending on the ES and we want to move it to the Solaris 10 box.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Sun advertises binary compatibility between OS releases, should that mean that I can still follow the document "Changing out a Unix Server"? i.e. Can I still get away with copying the b9 directory to the new server and making the changes in the document? Or should I be looking at the install guide and following the instructions for adding a server?

What about the C compiler? Our sysadmin has put the same version (5.5) of the compiler on both boxes. Should we look at a newer version and do I need to relink/recompile things after the move?

If anyone can relate experience moving between solaris 9/10 or point me in the direction of useful information I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Hi Anita,

We have recently migrated our App server from Solaris 5.8 to Solaris 5.10. We just followed the steps in "Changing out a Unix Server", i.e runnning rsync to copy the files and changing the values in the tables for OMDATP and OMSRVR. All worked well.

Vikks

Hi Vikks
Thanks for the reply, that's excellent news. It also corroborates the response I just received on my SR with Oracle support. We are planning the migration for the weekend of March 21.

Thanks again

Back