E9.2 E1 application dependencies - how do I find them?

jgagnon

When in E1 you open an application (it doesn't matter which), is there a way to determine that application form's "dependencies"?

What I mean by this is what are the other E1 applications that are invoked when a user clicks on a form or row exit, or clicks a button on a form, or uses the Visual Assist tool for a field? There may be other use cases I've missed.

The reason I'm asking is that we have set up a set of security roles for our users at our company and we have taken the approach of deny-all and then grant back what is needed. We had an external company perform an analysis of our needs and they identified many applications that we added to a "default" role that all other roles inherit security settings from. We then added all the security settings for the applications and reports that actually use in the course of their work.

I just encountered a case today, however, that was most unexpected. I was testing a problem a user had and just by chance, selected the visual assist for a field on the application form I was in. I immediately got a "not authorized" message. Well, that's odd. It's just the visual assist look-up function for a field on the form. Why would this be denied?

You can use the cross reference (Fastpath XREF). You will probably need to build this, as I recall you can get there via the XREF fast path. It build for the enviornment you are in. We only build it for the DV environment.

In addition to leveraging the cross reference I find that when using the all-doors-closed security model you often just have to open an application in design and see what row/form exits point to, especially if you are opening things to roles on a version level. Specifically on the visual assist question, there is no universal visual assist form and for any given field the specific visual assist form used will be driven by the data dictionary definition of that field or, if visual assist was overridden in the form design, it will be driven by what visual assist form has been explicitly coded into the form.

Visual Assist does open a Search & Select form and the user does need security to execute that form. Look at the data item's Visual Assist tab to identify the form used.

Regards,
Ellen

In addition to leveraging the cross reference I find that when using the all-doors-closed security model you often just have to open an application in design and see what row/form exits point to, especially if you are opening things to roles on a version level. Specifically on the visual assist question, there is no universal visual assist form and for any given field the specific visual assist form used will be driven by the data dictionary definition of that field or, if visual assist was overridden in the form design, it will be driven by what visual assist form has been explicitly coded into the form.

How do you open an application in "design" mode? I'm not familiar with this. Is this something that can be done in the PY environment?

You can use the cross reference (Fastpath XREF). You will probably need to build this, as I recall you can get there via the XREF fast path. It build for the enviornment you are in. We only build it for the DV environment.

I entered XREF in the FastPath, but quickly got lost in all of the options. Not sure what I should be looking for.

Also, you mention that I might need to build the cross reference. How do I determine whether I need to do this? If it needs to be built, how do I do it? If I do build it (assuming I'm allowed to do so), what effect could that have on the system as a whole? I don't want to inadvertently mess anything up.

I entered XREF in the FastPath, but quickly got lost in all of the options. Not sure what I should be looking for.

Also, you mention that I might need to build the cross reference. How do I determine whether I need to do this? If it needs to be built, how do I do it? If I do build it (assuming I'm allowed to do so), what effect could that have on the system as a whole? I don't want to inadvertently mess anything up.
R980011 is the cross ref build application . On your jde installation there should be out of the box versions for all objects and then by selected object types like APPL UBE TBLE DSTR etc . You need to fire the individual OBJ types and build them all . Cross ref is by pathcode . We usually build cross ref in our dev system and DV910 pathcode as thats where all dev work happens and it is easier to see there and make sure . The frequency it depends . If you are a busy shop and doing several developments and deployments every week , recommended is 6 months to a year to build and keep upto date .

Sorry missed one part. Cross ref build takes time and resources. You can build it on weekends in your dev pathcode and complete it .

The table behind is F980011 if that helps to see in query or anything

Back