Dealing with Packs

annieef

All,

Before you simply write this one off as a simple answer, please read all of this post.

My client has an item, CLIPS - a tin of paper clips. They sell this tin as an each and also have a pre-packed box of 12 tins that they sell. When a customer calls and orders this item, the always order in eaches. The sales order always says eaches and the pick always says eaches. The pick department goes to the pick location and the product is neatly packed 12 tins to a box. For every multiple of 12, they grab one box. The product gets put on the shelf this way because the BOM for this product is as follows:

QTY Part
1 Tin
50 Clips
1/12 Box

So, they're manufacturing the ITEM into a pre-packed box of 12. They do not have two part numbers nor do they have UOM conversions set-up.

Now, to make matters worse, this item, CLIPS is also a component in other BOM's. So, we have to sometimes UNPACK the manufactured box to use in other processes.

This has a whole slew of problems, but suffice to say, I have a recommendation. I'm asking for other ideas JUST to make sure that I'm not missing something terribly easy to navigate.

PLEASE email me with ideas. If you don't see the problem, email me anyway so I can explain further and possibly encourage additional brainstorming.

Thank you in advance,

Annie

Back