DB2 AS/400 vs Oracle on Windows/Linux

jdee108

Hello list,
We are currently on B7333/XE/Oracle 9i/Windows 2000. We are planning to upgrade to latest E1 9.0 and considering to go with AS/400 and DB2 as our OS/Backend.
I would like to know the following.
1. From Developers perspective, what would be the difference and how much AS/400 knowldege is required.
2. From CNC perspective, what would be the difference and how much AS/400 knowldege is required.

Please comment on this.

Thanks
B7333/XE SP23/Oracle 9i

From a developer's perspective . . . its pretty hard to access files on a AS/400 from a wintel client/server or vice versa. This would be in the case of trying to access / read non database files on one type of server vs the other. You'd be forced to FTP or some such other file transfer process to make the files on one platform accessible to the other.
Another consideration is if you'll still have legacy, non-jde data in Oracle or SQL Server databases. It'll be harder to access those databases from an AS/400 platform/application.

Out of curiosity . . . the move you are considering is a bit out of the normal path. Most companies tend to go the other way if considering a platform switch. I'd guess you just got a new CIO with an IBM background, right?

Great idea! The Oracle database is a piece of #^@@.

Okay no seriously. Why are you guys trying to swim upstream?

1/2 of all my JDE stuff (15+ 8.12 Upgrades alone) has been on AS/400 but you have to realize that the sign on the door says "Oracle".

From a CNC perspective the AS400 is the SIMPLIEST platform.

From a developer perspective the AS400 is the MOST DIFFICULT platform (for accessing file shares and the IFS).

I would recommend staying with what you're most comfortable with. If you already have AS400 skills in house then that might make sense.

If you have NO Oracle skills and are worried about administration then SQL Server might be a good option.

Otherwise I'd stay with Oracle (10g) on Windows 2003 since it appears to be what you know.

Colin

Back