Data Refresh from JDE 8.10 to JDE 900

max_xx

Well Known Member
Guys,

Any idea of how to do a data refresh of data tables from JDE 8.10 to JDE 900 tables.

We have upgraded from JDE 8.10 to JDE 9.0, not gone live yet. JDE 8.10 is still being used.

DB: JDE 8.10 on SQL 2000
JDE 9 on SQL 2008

There is a business requirement, the functional guys wants to test few reports in JDE 8.10 and JDE 9 assuming that the data in both JDE Versions is same.

Can anyone please help me out ?

Thanks.

-Max

Whats the database size, if not too big then use R98403. As I can see from the post you are moving from a sql 2000 to 2008 blob conversion will not be a problem even if you use the dba method and migrate outside jde. R98403 method will be slower.

Well... you can't use the Configuration Assistant because it will see that there is a mismatch of E1 versions. I am assuming you will probably get the same problem using the R98403 UBE but I am not positive. You could try and just use a SQL statement, it would be a pain to create one that does the entire database though:

insert into JDE_CRP.CRPDTA.FXXXX select * from JDE_PRODUCTION.PDDTA.FXXXX

FYI... I have never done an upgrade so I am not sure how it is typically done.

Thanks for all the replies.

Frankly speaking, I don't think so that it's gonna be as easy as doing a Data Refresh one JDE instance.
E.g. : It is easy to do data refresh from JDE_PRODUCTION to JDE_CRP residing on the same box on the same application level, be it 8.10 or 9.0

But, if moving from JDE 8.10 DB to 9.0, I am quite sure that there is a difference in no of tables, data structures of few tables might have changed.

Taking all these things into consideration, I don't think so that taking a backup of JDE_PRODUCTION from 8.10 DB and than doing a restore on JDE 9.0 DB is going to work.

Hmmm....

This definitely is a tricky one !!!

Cheers.
-Max

Mid-upgrade data refreshes need to be accomplished in two steps:

1. Replace your 9.00 target databases (Business Data and Control Tables) with your 8.10 databases (Business Data and Control Tables) I have said "replace" generically. Depending on your native DB platform you can use backup/restore, detach, copy, attach and other methods.

2. Rerun your R98407 table/index generation, upgrade table conversions and any post-upgrade special instructions.

These two steps are essentially what will be done on your go-live weekend when you perform the data-only PD upgrade.

Is the CNC resource who executed your CRP upgrade still with you? That would the appropriate resource to execute the data refresh for you.

Now, if you only need a few tables refreshed you could try to work it out yourself with INSERT INTO statements as other posters have suggested. There is no guarantee you will get thing completely right though. The upgrade table conversions do more than just add and remap columns. Sometimes data reformatting is also done.

The general methodology of refreshing data while in the middle of an upgrade is to bring a fresh copy of the Business Data and Control Tables as is from 8.10 to 9.0. Whether you do this by SQL database tools, or R98403 is up to your preferences. I will reinforce the notion that R98403 would be an order of magnitude slower than SQL tools.

Once the 8.10 data is in the new location, create a "Data Only" upgrade Installation Plan, and run it through Installation Workbench. This will take care of putting in new tables and converting formats for tables that have changed.

Max,

Please find some time to take a look at the PDF attachment. iRefresh rules we dispatch can handle you requirement and the refresh is Native.

1) System I - DRDA (Local RDB and Remote RDB)
2) Oracle - OCI
3) SQL Server 2005/2008 (Native)

As a follow-up I will post the URL that can get you to the Webinar Recordings.

Regards,
Baali

Attachments

• 143986-iREFRESH Demo.pdf
    395.1 KB · Views: 142
Hi All,

I had installed the E900 as a New Installation, after all the Setup and configuration the E900 is ready to access.
Now I need to bring my Production Data from E810 into E900 using the Upgrade Plan, however, failed.
I wonder if using the Method to replace the E900 Database and run the UBE to convert will this work.

E810 going to E900.
E810 (Win2003, SQL2000, WAS5.0)
E900 (Win2003, SQL2005, WAS6.1)

Hi,

Ideally speaking, you should run a data-only upgrade on
a sandbox environment.

If I were you, I would create an isolated E810 installation
(separated Deployment, Enterprise, Fat and Web) and copy
PD data and objects from my "live" PD to that sandbox.

Then I'd run the data-only upgrade procedure, which is
clearly explained on the E90 upgrade documentation.

You can't use R98403 because table structures are different
on E810 and E90
You shouldn't use SQL DTS or similar because tables don't
match and you won't know what to put on the new fields.
And Z1 processes can help you but they won't fill up all
of your Business tables on E90.

As Jeremy mentioned, it is best to refresh the data somehow, either through SQL tools or R98403. Where we have a little misunderstanding is that while he mentions not being able to use R98403, you actually can, provided you are running it from the right place.

If you run R98403 from the E900 Deployment Server, or an E900 fat client, then you have a problem with the table structures not matching. If you run it from an E810 fat client or Deployment Server, then you will correctly bring your E810 tables over to your new database.

At that point, then you can run a Data-Only Upgrade to reindex existing tables, add new tables, and convert old tables to a new format.

It bears repeating, using R98403 will be much slower than using native SQL tools to initially move the E810 data over.

Please read through the Upgrade manual for the details on a Data-Only Upgrade. This is normal, standard, accepted CNC methodology.

Max,

We have sucessfully launched a Disruptive Innovation (Definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disruptive_technology ) called iCOLLOQUIUM with our current customers and are planning to open it up for general public. We plan to grow this into a la Disruptive ERP Interactive WIKIPEDIA. This is a subset of iONLINE innovations from the iConsortium.

If you are still having issues with Data Conversion (Not Data Refresh, sorry to have misread that), please feel free to send a mail to [email protected] and schedule a time for our team to take a look at the issue, ABSOLUTELY NO strings attached.

Actually, It does not make any difference for us if one scheduling iCOLLOQUIUM Slot is a EONE Customer, Consultant or someone trying out something in the Lab Box or someone who is blatantly self-promoting like me. All we are interested is recording the WEBINAR Session, provided your esteemed company/client gives us the blessings in writing.

All we can promise is that if it stumps us we will involve Denver and we have been lucky not to Drag Denver into these things 99.99% of the time.

Regards,
Baalu

I just read something in the trades about SQL Server 2008 incorporating a new 'Merge' or 'Migrate' function that should help with this issue.

Regards,
Wendell

Max
I'm planning to go through the upgrade starting this coming week. I would like to pick your brain about the upgrade.

I trying to go over the MTR hurdles like upgrade C++ 6.0 to C++ .net 2005 and MSDE to SSE.

Thanking in advance

Back