Custom Mods and XE Updates

jwhite

We have made minor modifications (like adding a column to a grid) to
standard JDE applications. According the JDE documentation, these changes
should be preserved during an upgrade. We are upgrading from XE Update 1 to
XE Update 3 and are finding that these modifications are missing or
incorrect after the merge. Has anyone else run into this? Thank You.
Jeff White [email protected]
Orlando Utilities Commission - XE Update 1 SP16 HP9000/Oracle 8.1.6

YES! - two real quick suggestions.

Check the currency of your planner ESU. A recent Planner ESU clobbered
modifications/merges.

Make sure your modded objects are marked for MERGE vs Replace. Check the
reports that are generated by the update. They will tell you if the objects
are merged/replaced and/or what might have been done...

Hope this helps

Daniel Bohner
[email protected]
www.existinglight.net
JDE - XE & AS/400
JDE - B7331 & MS SQL 7x

Yes,
I have also experienced missing JDE code. That is real scary as you really don't know until it breaks. I would not recommend trying to merge the code when upgrading to XE. I know it takes time to put your mods back in but it is the safest way.
JDE says the merge works but it dosen't. They say that people have successful merges. I would to meet these people. Everyone I talk to says the same thing. It dosen't work.

One thing nice about XE is you can do a source compare and can even cut and paste your code. Have your CNC guys link you to an old env so you can bring up the old code. It helps to save time. At my old position we had heavily modified P4210 and it only took about 2 weeks to put the mods in and test them. It will depend on how good your documentation is and if the original developer is still with you.

Good luck.

Yes,

We recently applied UPDATE 2 and some ESUs.
First we tried to apply with merge but none of our mods preserved, further I faced a heavy problem when I tried to re-add my three custom section and re-add my ER logic with Visual ER Compare to R12855. The section IDs and ER links became totally confused and corrupted. (I reported this problem on the Forums) Finally we applied UPDATE 2 and the ESUs with replace.

I agree with Deborah and I am also curious what kind of prerequisites, settings, SP level, etc. required to perform merge with less or more success but without spec corruption. Could anybody construct a cook-book about this for us?

Regards,
Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Back
Top Bottom