Creating a new company instead of a new branch plant

tmackin

Reputable Poster
I had posted earlier about creating a new branch plant for a sister company that we wanted to bring up on OW. Now I would like to know if creating a new company would give us the segregation we need to keep the two facilities seperate and distinct with users of both excluded from each others information, etc. I see how we could do this with B/P security but how would we secure at the company level? Is there a way in which to secure the A/B? We may have a few customers that are shared by both plants.

On the first screen of A/B maintenance, I see a field called Business Unit. Isee business units are tied to a company and that they have BU types like income statement, balance sheet and work center. Can this be used to tie a customer to a company?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Yes sir... I have clients that do the separate company for that basic
reason... plus with XE you can have different customer master's by company
so even though you share the same address book record you can have different
A/R terms based on the company... I think company is the best way to go.
thanks, Bobby

On the first screen of A/B maintenance, I see a field called Business Unit.
Isee business units are tied to a company and that they have BU types like
income statement, balance sheet and work center. Can this be used to tie a
customer to a company?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi.
Sometimes it is better to go to basics and re-visit definitions.

Definition of Company in JDE

Companies are organizational entities that require a balance sheet. Therefore, creating separate companies for maintaining accounting identities of sister companies will meet the requirement.

Definition of Business Unit in JDE

A division of business organization that requires balance sheet or profit and loss statement. It is lowest level of profitability reporting entity.Each BU is unique and is owned by only one company.
Coming back to securing users:
Each company which you will create should be attached to Address Book, which in turn is attached to unique BU.
Similarly, each customer address book needs to be attached to Business Unit (MCU). This can be done in following ways:
Those customers which are to be used by users for company 'A' should be attached to BU 'X'.
Those customers which are to be used by users for company 'B' should be attached to BU 'Y'.
Those customers which are to be used by users of both companies (i.e.'A' and 'B') should be attached to BU 'Z'.

Users BU security:
Those users who will work for company 'A' should have access for BU 'X' and 'Z'.
Those users who will work for comapny 'B' should have access for BU 'Y' and 'Z'.
BU security is defined through BU security option in Menu G94.

I trust this will help you in making set-ups.
Cheers!!!
Niranjan

tmackin wrote:I had posted earlier about creating a new branch plant for a sister company that we wanted to bring up on OW. Now I would like to know if creating a new company would give us the segregation we need to keep the two facilities seperate and distinct with users of both excluded from each others information, etc. I see how we could do this with B/P security but how would we secure at the company level? Is there a way in which to secure the A/B? We may have a few customers that are shared by both plants.On the first screen of A/B maintenance, I see a field called Business Unit. Isee business units are tied to a company and that they have BU types like income statement, balance sheet and work center. Can this be used to tie a customer to a company?Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Sr. Business Systems Analyst
OFS Fitel, LLC
OW B733 Cum 2 SP11.3, NT SP6a, SQL 7.0 SP3
--------------------------
To view this thread, go to:
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=Apps&Number=40720
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+
This is the JDEList One World / Xe® and World Applications mailing list/forum.
Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
UNSUBSCRIBE can be found on the JDEList Forum at
http://www.JDEList.com

JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards®

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+

Niranjan B.BhatiaSystemic Software Solutions (India) Pvt.Ltd. We Analyze - Explore - Innovate - AchieveVisit: www.systemicsoftware.com or Write to [email protected]

---------------------------------
Get a bigger mailbox -- choose a size that fits your needs.

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail_storage.html

Tel: +91 22 564 7990 / +91 22 599 1246
Personal E-mail: [email protected]
Web-site: www.systemicsoftware.com

FYI...

While JDE does define a company as a entity that requires a BS, you do not HAVE to have a seperate BS for each company. You can map the AAI's of several companies to use one BS company. This will create a lot of intercompany transactions, but works quite well.

Ken, we want to keep the two "companies" totally separate in all areas,
including the G/L and financial reporting. What I would like to know is it
possible at the company level to secure users from each others data, etc?

Sr. Business Systems Analyst
OFS Fitel, LLC
OW B733 Cum 2 SP11.3, NT SP6a, SQL 7.0 SP3

Re: RE: Creating a new company instead of a new branch plant

Tmackin,

Yes, you can use company numbers to secure users out of information stored within that company. For example, we house all of our executive employees in a separate company which allows us to keep their salary information secure. We only give a very small number of users access to this company. I believe "row" security is the type you will need to use to secure data by company or business unit. But, Yes it will work very well.

Peace.

Hi,

You're expectation was correct. You can use the business unit field in the A/B to secure/restrict users from specific A/B records. For instance, to avoid working with particular customers. At my previous project we used this method to restrict users related to B/P A from B/P B although they where all related to company 00010

If you need more info please let me know.

Kind regards,

Back