Create new environment for business unit

grainwater

Does anyone have suggestions on considerations when separating the data by creating a new environment for a business unit. Two companies have been operating as separate business units within a single World 7.3 environment for over 10 years and now one business unit wants to separate into their own data environment. Handling of historical data, intercompany transactions, etc. will be tricky. I'm looking for a guide/white paper to help with my project plan. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

grainwater:

I assume “a new environment” means no sharing of anything.

I recently assisted a client doing just that. In a nutshell (and doing this from memory):

- We used the standard JDE World program that creates the new environment.
This included control files in which we copied data (like the UDC tables)
- We used standard iSeries commands to copy over:
Companies (F0010) – filtering what we needed
Business Units (F0006) – filtering what we needed
COA (F0901) – filtering what we needed
* Balances (F0902) into z-files of the new environment – we did not bring history over as it became too complicated with all the Inter-company transactions
* Came up with an algorithm to copy over the Address Book and related files including Supplier Master and Customer Master
- We zeroed out amount buckets where applicable in AB
- Copied Open AP and Open AR into z-files using a technique not to conflict with GL balances.
- Purchase Orders were canceled and recreated in the new environment
- We scrutinized and re-set next numbers as needed.
- And a bunch of other stuff.

We actually ended up creating a new environment out of several business units including half of one!

The most important thing is to have a brainstorming session and go module by module, and file by file.

Thanks for the help. I realize now I have many more things to think about.

Our plan is to continue sharing the Common, Sec libraries. We plan to duplicate the DATA lib in full to another environment. Then, each company will continue operating with their own version of the full data lib as we begin to purge the 'other' companies data from the respective environments. We'll have to come up with another method of handling future Inter-company type transactions. And maybe based on that methodology could we enter some type of journal entry adjustment for historical inter-company? Would we have to use z-file processing since this is already JDE data. I thought z-files were for taking raw data and converting it into the required data files/fields of JDE. We use a purging software that has a JDE module designed to check file relationships as it purges. I thought we could use this software and purge by company/business unit the 'other' companies after the cutover. Would I even have to worry about open transactions since we are in effect just flipping a switch? On the cutover day the 2 environments will look just as the one looked before the cutover - of course we will have to change any programming objects in the new environment to point to the new library as needed. Thanks again for your advice!

Back