Coexistence between Xe and World A7.3

ajmk

We are working on a upgrade from Xe to 9.0. However, we also have a Coexistence of World wherein some objects of world are being used,sharing the same data library. Just wanted to know how to end Coexistence as we move to 9.0

In all the various Direct Migration manuals from World to (insert your E1 version here), there are chapters on preparing for the data migration, and on turning off World usage.

I have used the manual for World to 9.0, and that client went live early in the year.

Hi,
But Iam given to understand that both Xe & World use the same Data library. The, would it be possible that World is also picking up data from the Xe Data library. Iam not a CNC personnel,so the ignorance. I just wanted to know the Connection of Data sources in a coexistence scenario. Since is world is using Xe data, then the activity would be restricted to redeveloping the World objects in Enterprise one 9.0. Otherwise, it would include data migration from world to Enterprise 9.0. Please advise

Yes, coexistence means that some data is shared between Xe and World. In particular, most Business Data and a few Control Tables are shared. This is mapped out in the OCM, which spells out where to find files for the environment. It's the equivalent of a library list on the AS/400.

The upgrade process uses the OCM to figure out from where to pull the tables during Installation Planner and Workbench, so data from both World and Xe will be upgraded.

If you have custom tables in World (but not Xe), then you will have to write table conversions to handle those separately.

Is this information what you were looking for, or was there something specific that you wanted to know?

I would start by saying that if you don’t have the competencies internally for this upgrade find a BP/consultant (there are plenty that contribute to this forum) who can work with you on this.

In my mind the key to being successful is in the ‘sizing’ of the new hardware and the ending of the coexistence. The rest of the upgrade is pretty straight forward. After reviewing the coexistence documentation the steps for same should become clear to you. In World (out of the box and post the coexistence install) you typically will have one World common library per environment. Post ending coexistence you will no longer have any World Common libraries and/or OCM’s to same.

If you have World Writer tables in Business data they should be moved out of the datasource. You need to ‘clean up’ the duplicate records on the World side or the TC’s will most likely fail during the XE to 9.0 TC workbench. You’ll also need to get and install the CCSID Conversion Tool.

So very high Level.

Work with you business partner to size the Infrastructure required for supporting 9.0. (do not skip this step)
Source the coexistence documentation guides on My Oracle Support
End coexistence
Perform the remaining XE to 9.0 upgrade.

I hope this helps.

Michael

Back