Citrix Freezes\Drops

spud

Citrix Freezes\\Drops

The Saga Continues...
I last posted a description of memory violations and application freeze-ups on our 30+ Citrix XP servers with 300+ users. We are averaging approximatley 40-50 memory violation messages a day across the farm and 30 HelpDesk calls reporting hung sessions (many more probably happen but don't get called in).
Suggestions such as upgrading to IE 5.5 SP2 and deleting user overrides helped a bit, but the same errors still occur and we are still working on the issue. I realize that an error free environment will not exist, but I would like to know how often this happens in other JDE environments and if anyone has actually put a number on an acceptable amount of disconnected\frozen sessions in a thin-client environment.

Thanks,

Steve

Re: Citrix Freezes\\Drops

Steve,
Love the SPUD name...good humor. :) (For those outside of the U.S.A..... Idaho (where Steve is from) is a big producer of potatoes and potatoes have the nickname of SPUDS here.)
That is a huge Citrix farm you've got. Are there any other applications you are running ? Do they also have memory violations ? And 30 servers with 300 users ?? I run 60 users on 1 server. Why do you need 30 servers ?
Dave

SQL 2000 SP2, One World XE SP15.1, Citrix 2000 Metaframe XP, Websphere

Steve,

Are all of the Citrix users using unique network logons to the citrix farm. I have seen something like this in the past when all users were logging onto the Citrix server with the same profile.

Hope this helps,

Andy

XE SP 17.1
Ent AS/400 and Win2000
Depl Win2000

User Overrides is still the main contender, try stopping users from adding them, see earlier posts on this subject.

We still get problems with P0411 Voucher logging and P042002 Voucher Approval and Coding. I think there a few other Applications which are a bit unstable. The problem is where a lot of processing is done in the background after an OK, users think it has stopped/locked up, so they break out of Citrix. We have about 200 users, and get a couple of users that need reseting each day. They are all doing Input or Update, never get problems with users browsing. But we have disabled user overrides.

What spec are your servers? How much memory do they have? We work on a rule of thumb of 1Gb for every 15 Users. Are they only running OneWorld? If not then split your farm and use dedicated servers for OneWorld.

Also check your profiles, we created separate profiles for Citrix Users and these are stored on a separate server closely connected to the Citrix Farm.

Check free disk space - see the latest thread on this.

Finally if your are using NT4 and Citrix - REBOOT the Servers regularly. We reboot all our Citrix Servers daily, during the Enterprise Server backup.

If you are a 24/7 shop then you will need to cycle through your servers and reboot at least weekly, easy to do - disable logins, when the server is free - everyone logs off eventually, reboot, and move to the next server!

OW733.3 Xe SP 14.2
Enterprise Server - Intel NT + Oracle 8.0.6
Client - Citrix TSE + 4 NT PC's for development

Good morning,

We have about 30 users on a NT4 SP 6 farm, it has 2gig of memory. It is dedicated OW production only server. We have approx 3-4 Dr. Watson/illegal operation errors a day. Some people just get hung up about 3-4 of those a day. IE is at version 5.5. We don't like this, can'r understand why. We only know that it happens if a user is updateing/entering in large number of batches. We have been trying to inform the users to not enter in any more then 15-20 issues/batch. Once they reach that number hit the ok button, get out and go back in. This seems to lower the occurrance of the errors. We tried increasing memory, increasing max cache size in the JDE.ini file, and it doesn't seem to help. So if you find some wonderful tool to cure this problem, I'd love to hear it!

Jeremey Garcia
Greenville, SC, USA
Xe SP14; ES - AS/400; CO - AS/400; Deploy - NT Citrix - NT SP6; Report Distribution - Formscape;

Steve,

We had a similar issue just after we went live our servers will blue screen like every day, users will get kicked off you name it. by the way Very impressive farm (if it would work right..:))...your company sounds like they are loaded :).

Are you only running one owrld on your servers is everything up to date on firmware and citrix hot fixes. This is what we did we tool out one server from my farm of 3 :( and reloaded it from ground zero, totally wipped it an loaded verything from scratch not a ghosted image...we only loaded One World on it and tested for a few weeks it never had any problems; so we made a ghost image od it and did the other two.

I would advise that you remove one server fron you farm...you could do without one....and reload it and have a few of you trusted users test it....that way you have a better chance of narrowing the issue.

Since we reloaded our server we hanve never had a blue screen or a memore violation except the user overides things...I re-booth them once a week if that much...give it a try.

Cleola Isaacs
CNC Administrator/Network Analyst
Xe Update 2 SP 16
Enterprise AS/400
WTS NT 4.0

Thanks for everyone's responses and the razzing about how many servers I have : ). The 300 users are only Phase 1 and we have hundreds of users still to bring online and the 30 included dev, training, verification, and Optika integrated servers. Anyway, here is some more info: the servers are Compaq DL360's, dual 1.2 Ghz procs, 4GB of memory running Win2K SP2 and Citrix XP 1.0 SP1/FR1. They get rebooted once a week. JDE SP18, Adobe 5.05, Excel and Word 2000 SP2, and the latest IBM Client Access are the only applications on them. All users are allowed only one session on the farm and use dedicated JDE Roaming Profiles and Home Directories located on a separate file server on the same 100Mb subnet. We were seeing occassional memory violations with Adobe, but the latest version cleared those up so all that I am seeing is JDE errors such as the following: Application popup: Account Ledger Inquiry - [Work With Account Ledger]: activConsole.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x005dd355" referenced memory at "0x00000110".
User overrides have been deleted and recreated for most users after the last service pack and it would be a hard sell to try and get them to limit there use. I have tried rebuilding a server fresh a few times with no success, but I am going to continue to try that. Maybe if I burn some incense, sacrifice a chicken and do some chanting, I will find the right combination. I think this answered everyone's questions and thanks for all your input.

Steve

Back