Change Purchasing UOM Conversion

elocin

Hi All -

This may be a simple question but I've had so many problems with my Purchasing dept and UOM conversions that I thought I would ask.

We have changed vendors for an item. We purchase the item in eaches. For the previous vendor, 1 EA = 12,000 gm. For the new vendor, 1 EA = 45,400 gm. If we change the conversion will it cause problems even if all lines from the previous vendor are closed?

Thanks for any help!

In a word, Yes, it will cause problems down the road. For example, the F4115 history converts PO UOM to Primary UOM, so you will greatly complicate reporting from there. There are probably other places as well that my more learned colleagues here will identify.

I would suggest making EA = 12000gm a secondary UOM, and changing the PO UOM to something other than EA that the vendor agrees to.

JDEdwards does not recommend doing this. See ODS-01-0085. It will be better to create a new Part#

You did say the Purchasing UOM didn't you. I believe that the concerns raised by the other posters would be if you were changing the Primary.

The KG doco (ODS-01-0085) is called Changing Primary UOM and as for the F4115, I am pretty confident in saying that no values are stored in Purchasing UOM on this file, so I am not sure that there would be any issues with this.

One of the main problems faced when making this change is with the Item Ledger file. This file holds all of the receipts against an Item in the Purchase Order UOM Quantity and it does not store any conversion factors.
Make sure you run the As-of Generation (R41542) before you make this UOM change, so that these receipts can be stored away in the correct primary uom quantity in the As-of file (F41112) for both as-of and integrity reports & running balance inquiries. Also check whether any reports or inquiries have been written over this file that may be impacted by this.

The other concern I have is Reversing Receipts against these old orders. I have a feeling that this has caused problems in the past? Suggest that you make this change in a test environment first and reverse and re-receipt some orders to validate that this works OK at your installation.

Hope this helps.

Back