CBT Training

JakeR

Well Known Member
Is anyone out there using a software product to develop your own Computer Based Training? I am interested in hearing how others are meeting the challenges of training your employees without the need to physically visit each of your locations.

Thanks

You should review the User Productivity Kit promoted and obtainable from Oracle.

It naturally links into JDE and also understands a lot of the objects used within E1.

If yiu contact your account manager they will be able to give you the details or customer care can send you a demo CD.

I was impressed and got it in for my last company and am recommending it to customers that I now support.

Gary,

Take a look at the User Productivity Kit (UPK) that Oracle have.
There should be some info on the website or your Oracle client manager should be able to provide details.

Adrian

We have UPK and the content for 8.11. It is a glorified screen capture utility that makes slide presentations of step-by-step functions that you display and capture from your screen. It may be faster and cheaper for you to use power point and capture screen shots with the clipboard, not much of a difference in what you get...

In the "player" mode you can make a lesson interactive by waiting for clicks, or inserting boxes which force the user to fill a predefined value into a screen area. The design tool is PeopleSoft's OEM version of a 3rd party training software, made by Global Knowledge.

To design a full meaningful lesson with UPK developer, you need to put a lot of work into it, more than the trainig ends up being worth... Probably OK for complete newbies to see JDE, but average or advanced JDE isers in your organization will find it annoying. The "movies" or "lessons" can be deliverd over a web server to browsers and the lessons can be saved in screen by screen flat HTML or in a more "animated" web-player-version.

I find it completely worthless -- the only thing that can make it more meaningful for you out-of-the box is if you also buy their developed content (pre-made standard lessons for each JDE module) and you are satisfied with just generic examples, rather than having to design ones that fit your company's business process and data.

It was a tool heavily used by the old PeopleSoft product line and (to increase revenue) they started "upselling" and pushing it to JDE customers... What I like call "parasite software" sales.

Hi OJDE,

I agree with you.

UPK is a hyped training software tool which basically is meant for initial basic JDE training without an instructor.

For technical / functional deapth , I found CBT training program provided by PeopleSoft more effective than these UPK stuff.

The User Productivity Kit, although a bit pricey in my opinion, is an excellent tool for creating online training specific to your own company. It integrates directly with Enterprise One. Oracle has many pre-done modules, foundation, financials, etc., but they are even more pricey. We purchased the application but not the modules. Oracle will give you an online live demonstration through Webex. Call your client manager.

Creating your own scripts is very time-consuming but fairly intuitive. You will need someone who is willing to pay attention to detail because the instruction bubbles are as important and the clicks and keystrokes. They also need to deal with the differences between alternate keystroke and point and click users.

Eternal JDE,

"UPK" was introduced to E1 applications by Peoplesoft. There was an old "CBT" application put out by JD Edwards which was almost impossible to use. Are you saying that there is a different "CBT" application available?

Back