AS400 Remote Location Printing Options

tboat00

tboat00

Well Known Member
We are running EnterpriseOne XE in coexistence. We have approximately 50 remote sites from our headquarters office where we will be implementing the web client for system access at each of them. For printing reports, a user can always take the "View PDF" row exit from WSJ and print the report locally to any installed printer to the PC. I am look for some viable options to establish system printers at each of our remote locations so the user does not have to open the report in Adobe before printing it. So a user cna just take the "PRINT" row exit and expect ther report to print.

One option I have is to create AS400 remote output queues and direct each of them to a network attached copier/printer at each remote location. Then system printers could be assigned to each separate output queue for each remotes site. I am not sure if this is the best method or not.

I would love some feedback as to how other customers have handled printing at remote locations with an AS400 Enterprise Server.

Hi,

I believe that using the remote outqs on As/400 is the best choice.
That's how we use to manage that.
By the way, if you're using printservers (like HP Jetdirect and so on), I would advise not to use the Jetdirect protol (creating devices with port 9100), but to keep on using LPD/LPR protocol.
Indeed, if you got a small probleme on your link, the writer will receive and escape message and the printing won't be able to restart until you answer in QSYSOPR msgq...

Another thing, these remote outq will be only useful in case or RUNPRINT or print immediate. If you use Acrobat, the windows printer definition will be used, not the AS/400 ones.

We also the AS400 outq. Once a printer has been defined on the AS400 it is a fairly easy process to define it to OW. Just use PRINTERS from the SYSTEM ADMIN TOOLS menu (task).

Back