Archiving Tool Purge-it!

fraukje

Hi JDE List,

We have chosen Purge-it! (By Klik IT) as archiving tool, mainly because it promised archiving would be possible whilst users are on the system.

Archiving worked well on PY where no users "interfered". However, on PD we are having issues. The archiving jobs have to run on QSINGLE and our users are not happy having to wait days for their e.g. payment processing.
Klik IT advised us to run archiving in small junks, e.g. one month. But even one month takes 8 hours. And since we are a global company we don't have such a thing as "after hours". We would have to run the jobs on weekends. We have 7 years we want to archive though!

Has anybody out there used Purge-it! and is willing to share their experience?

Thank you very much in advance for any input you can give - even if it's only moral support.

Fraukje

Most of the Archiving tools out there in the market are not mature enough. Either they lack in functionality or performance.

IBM's Optim is very good in the JDE space with both options.

Being that IBM's Optim is a brand spanking new tool with limited support for releases, I don't know how you can recommend it yet. I posted a link to the IBM product announcement on this Other Thread.

-Ethan

Purge-It! may run on a single threaded queue, but your many other jobs do NOT have to. Only a bunch of (important) jobs need to run in the single threaded queue (sales update, cheques, some AR). If necessary, create a second single threaded queue.
Next, move all your "regular" jobs into a multithreaded queue, and your users will be happy to see their reports running fast, again.

Ethan,
Optim is not a brand spanking new tool, it was developed by Princeton Softech in the late 80s and was acquired by IBM 2 years ago. We have used Optim with JDE on more than 15 engagements with success over the past 4 years. The "new" part is IBM's recently announced pricing bundle for JDE (which by the way has support for releases from Xe on up, as well as World).

While it is true that the integration with the iSeries is not as seamless out of the box as on a Windows box, it works well and is not TOO difficult to implement. I, for one, am quite dismayed by IBM's lackluster stance on the combination of i and Optim since I know from direct experience that it works great. All the same Optim functions are available on the iSeries as on MSSQL or Oracle, including data growth (archiving) and test data management/data privacy. Coincidentally, the federation across databases is one of Optim's strong suits, as you can easily port your data from iSeries production DASD to the DBMS and storage of your choice for developers and testing (within JDE requirements, of course!).

Trying to keep this from becoming a sales thing, but our firm has also developed a plug-in for Optim on the iSeries that makes the use and administration native to the iSeries. If anyone wants to hear more about it, please PM me.

Gotta represent for my favorite Data Management tool!

Cheers,
Matt

--0016e6d58cb247005f04758c33f3
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

I think it is simple to implement this by moving all PDF from 400 to NT
where you can store your OLD PDFs as archive. Move the member along with
F986110 record into NT server. Delete PDF (as a member from 400)

Nitin

--0016e6d58cb247005f04758c33f3
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

T where you can store your OLD PDFs as archive. Move the member=A0along=A0w ith F986110 record into NT server. Delete PDF (as a member from 400)</div>
<div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 9:58 AM, masimons <span d <blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 1ex; MARGIN: 0px 0 px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">Ethan,
Optim is not a brand s panking new tool, it was developed by Princeton Softech in the late 80s and was acquired by IBM 2 years ago. We have used Optim with JDE on more than 15 engagements with success over the past 4 years. The "new" part is IBM's recently announced pricing bundle for JDE (which by the way h as support for releases from Xe on up, as well as World).

ss out of the box as on a Windows box, it works well and is not TOO difficu lt to implement. I, for one, am quite dismayed by IBM's lackluster stan ce on the combination of i and Optim since I know from direct experience th at it works great. All the same Optim functions are available on the iSerie s as on MSSQL or Oracle, including data growth (archiving) and test data ma nagement/data privacy. Coincidentally, the federation across databases is o ne of Optim's strong suits, as you can easily port your data from iSeri es production DASD to the DBMS and storage of your choice for developers an d testing (within JDE requirements, of course!).

developed a plug-in for Optim on the iSeries that makes the use and adminis tration native to the iSeries. If anyone wants to hear more about it, pleas e PM me.

cal & Data Management Consultant Fort Lauderdale, FL
=3DApps&Number=3D151623" target=3D"_blank">entire JDELIST thread</a> is available for viewing.
postlist.php?Cat=3D&Board=3DOpps" target=3D"_blank">Job Opportunities f <div align=3D"center"><font face=3D"Verdana, Arial" size=3D"-2">This is the JDELIST EnterpriseOne Applications Mailing List.

[email protected]?Subject=3DUnsubscribe&Body=3DSirs,

Please++remove+t his+address+from+the+JDELIST+EnterpriseOne+Applications+Mailing+List.

Thank+You." target=3D"_blank">Click here</a>.</p>

--0016e6d58cb247005f04758c33f3--

I don't see your architecture stated anywhere, but an out of the box thought would be to add a new appllication server (I would use a Windows Intel for low cost, quick setup) specifically to run the archiving and other CNC tasks. This will allow the archiving tool to have the CPU, RAM and network connection to itself.

Depending on your development demands, you could also add the Production pathcode to a development server and run it there. The trick with this is if you have development going on that requires the services to be stopped (Service Pack/Tools), or frequent package builds it could cause schedule conflicts.

Another benefit of not using your production server is not messing with your production environment queues and mappings.

An expereienced CNC should be able to setup a new server in a very short time.

Jer

Back