Applying a route to a Forecast?

MCLINCOLN

MCLINCOLN

Is it possible for Forecast demand in JDE be configured to apply a routing so the demand on manufacturing is in line with that when the Customer Order is
entered?

Hi Mclincoln,

There are a couple of ways to setup JDE Sales Orders to trigger demand on Manufacturing. In simple terms it can be achieved via (a) Sales Orders can create Work Orders using Line Type W (b) MRP/MPS (R3142/R3143) can be set to generate Work Orders based on Sales Order Demand (via the Item Branch Planning Fence rule - below)

However, I am guessing that the reference to "routing" in your question may be that you are asking whether the software can route the sales order demand to different machines/production lines or facilities/outsource providers, etc... Unfortunately this in not part of the standard offering. The ability to check the capacity within manufacturing and automatically route this demand to different manufacturing options to actually produce and fulfill these sales orders at time of order entry is a bigger than the standard JDE offering. It would normally require additional software. Happy to talk about this with you further if this is what you are trying to achieve.

Item Branch Planning Fence Rules
Rule C
Customer demand
(Whichever is greater: forecast or customer demand)
Note: Rule C is commonly used for make-to-order, assemble-to-order, and engineer-to-order items.

Rule G
Whichever is greater: forecast or customer demand
Note: Rule G is commonly used for make-to-stock items with accurate forecast. Description 1 in Rule G provides a hedge to prevent lost sales or backorders.

regards,
Craig

Hi Craig - Thank you for your response. The routing I refer to is the Transportation Module Routing rather than the Manufacturing Route. Its typical for us to have up to 7 days lead time on our transportation routes and this means that when a Firm Order is raised against a forecasts entered ]using F3460 there can be a 7 day difference in the date the parts are required (as initially the forecast only uses the requested date). This is particularly an issue when we are using forecast consumption (H) Planning Fence Rule as the system appears to consume the forecast using the Pick date rather than the promised ship date and then uses the actually ship date once its shipped.

Hi Craig - Thank you for your response. The routing I refer to is the Transportation Module Routing rather than the Manufacturing Route. Its typical for us to have up to 7 days lead time on our transportation routes and this means that when a Firm Order is raised against a forecasts entered ]using F3460 there can be a 7 day difference in the date the parts are required (as initially the forecast only uses the requested date). This is particularly an issue when we are using forecast consumption (H) Planning Fence Rule as the system appears to consume the forecast using the Pick date rather than the promised ship date and then uses the actually ship date once its shipped.
Hi, I agree that the out-of-the-box method of building Forecast using Sales History via the R3465 is questionable in its use of SO Request Date. I would have thought it should use Pick Date or should be the lesser of Pick (or Ship) Date and Request Date. Oracle rejected this request (Bug 12489122) arguing that using Ship Date does not work due to late deliveries skewing demand vs Customer Request. I would have thought an option to include a test to use the lessor of the dates would have addressed this concern. Something perhaps you could consider applying to your site extracts.
However, regarding your final point, the -SHIP used for Forecast Consumption is supposed to be based on Pick Date according to the manual see Doc ID 625964.1 (ironic I know, as it would appear to be the exact same logic being requested / rejected in the Sales Extract for Forecast IMHO). Check for SAR's if this is not the case at your site.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Craig

Back