Active X through XenApp

daveschultz

Well Known Member
Hi

We have set up a XenApp server to host JDE running on Internet Explorer. The intent is to run it on the iPad from the filed. In testing this, I am having a problem getting the active x to work for text attachments. Whenever I go into one, I get prompted to install the active x control, but when I say yes it still doesn't work. If i log on again I am asked to install it again. I set myself up as a local admin on the XenApp server and no change. I have logged into JDE on the XenApp server and had the active x controls installed. Anyone done this? I know we can switch to not use active x, but our users are hesitant to do this as they don't like the change for exporting grids.

Dave
E1 9.0, Tools 9.1.0.4

You might have to clear the local or roaming profile folders that Citrix users for each user. I know when we've updated Tools Release that have had updates to the ActiveX plug ins we've had to clear the roaming profiles for users for similiar issues and allow Citrix to recreate them.

Thanks. I tried that and it still does not work. I should mention that this is a new install of XenApp. We have never used it before. I also logged into Citrix Receiver from a Windows 7 machine and had the same results, so it's not just happening on the iPad.

Dave

We're not using Citrix anymore, but I know I had issues with Windows 7 as our group policy by default had the Active X installer service disabled by default. As an admin I had no problems, but we actually had to change the group policy.

So I would suggest checking that first to make sure the service is running. Is this a 32-bit or 64 bit? I didn't see a way to manually register the .ocx files on a x64 win7 as the regsvr only worked on 32 bit clients.

Thanks, I think that it may be running on the 64 bit IE. I have asked my network guy to check and if it is change to 32 bit IE. Will update once I know for sure.

Dave

I never could get the 64bit IE working, but the 32bit works great. Changing the group policy made my life a lot easier too as now it's just using the JDE links for the host name and we went with the values of 2,2,1,0x00000100. Hope that helps.

All of this thread just makes me shudder thinking that ActiveX is still in the product. One of these days, someone is going to take advantage of a browser who has these activex controls registered...its such a glaring security hole.

I personally try to minimize the use of ActiveX as much as possible. If the MS specific functionality is needed, then fair enough - but if you can teach the users to import/export from .CSV files - then turning off activex is a boon to the implementation.

Thanks for all the replies. Changing to the 32 bit IE worked.

Dave

As somewhat of a follow up to this, does anyone know if it is possible to attach a photo that has been taken on the ipad to say a work order within JDE running through XenApp?

Thanks
Dave

I would say no. Or at least, not with the native functionality.

If you were running the web natively on the ipad, its completely possible to add a media object using the ipads camera. I just did this as a test - works beautifully using safari ! I'm attaching a screenshot so you can see !

But when you are running through a published app through citrix, I doubt if citrix is able to pass the correct API's for the camera function and files through to citrix.

So its probably advisable, if you are using ipads, to consider publishing using direct connectivity rather than citrix.

The benefit of using an iPad browser, over, say a desktop browser, is that a user really cant change how the browser works on the ipad. Therefore, ipads won't need browser support - unlike desktops. So the support argument for using citrix kind of goes away with ipad/iphones.

Attachments

• 182101-example_camera_ipad.jpg
    182101-example_camera_ipad.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 58
Hi Jon

We did that while the ipad was connected to our corporate wifi and it worked great. We need to be able to do this from outside of our network though. I'm not too sure what you mean by publishing using direct connectivity.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom