Access tables in external database

• Thread starter Gopal_Kistasami
  • Start date

Gopal_Kistasami

Hi All,

From within JDE we want to access tables from another Oracle Database. JDE restricts table names to 8 characters and the external table names are greater
than 8 characters. What is the best method to define/configure these external
tables within oracle so that we can access these tables in JDE.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Kind regards, Gopal.
OWXe U7, SP22_D1, Oracle 9.2.0.3, Solaris 8

NOTICE: Please note that this e-Mail, and the contents thereof, is subject to the standard Smiths e-Mail disclaimer which may be found at:
http://www.smiths.co.za/disclaimer.htm

If you cannot access the disclaimer through the URL attached and you wish to receive a copy thereof please send an e-Mail to [email protected]

Gopal,

Consider creating a database view which fits withing the OneWorld naming requirements. The view definition would simple be SELECT * FROM MYSCHEMA.VERYLONGTABLENAMEUPTO31CHARS (Last time I checked an Oracle table could be 31 characters in length)

Regards,

My answer is mostly theoretical, but it might be worth a try...

Put the access db on a server and share it out. Make sure that all machines
that will need to access the db map to the same drive letter. Build OCM
mapping to the database on the specified drive letter... deploy.

There are a few assumed steps in the process - but cnc's will get the drift.

I'll try this, later this week - when the teething monster is napping.
Remind me, if you don't hear back.

Daniel Bohner

Looking for work out west
Daniel Bohner | JDE P/A III | Freelance-JDE/Web/Photo
www.ExistingLight.Net | www.ExtremeSights.com | [email protected]
JDE XE | SP20 | AS/400 | V5R1

Re: RE: Access tables in external database

Daniel,

it's an Oracle database, not an Access one ...

;)

Gopal,

an add-on to Justin's post.

1) This subject has been covered extensively before. Search the Forums to find more detailed answers (try "SQL Server Views with JDE", or "Custom Table").

2) Column Names must also conform to OneWorld requirements - again you can use the database view to change the column names but be aware that OneWorld expects to have a defined Data Dictionary code that matches the column name along with size, data type, etc.

Regards,

Forgive me... what I read and what I should have understood where two completely different items...

I stand embarrassed

Daniel

Yes, your are forgiven. Many thanks for your response. Sometimes we also fall into the same trap.
Kind regards, Gopal.

Forgive me... what I read and what I should have understood where two completely different items...I stand embarrassedDaniel
Looking for work out west
Daniel Bohner | JDE P/A III | Freelance-JDE/Web/Photo
www.ExistingLight.Net | www.ExtremeSights.com | [email protected] JDE XE | SP20 | AS/400 | V5R1
--------------------------
To view this thread, go to: http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=67503

This is the JDELIST One World / XE Mailing List. To stop receiving these messages, login to http://www.jdelist.com/forums, click Control Panel, then click Edit by "Subscribe / Unsubscribe from receiving board posts by email, change message notifications, etc." and adjust your subscription preferences. JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards®

NOTICE: Please note that this e-Mail, and the contents thereof, is subject to the standard Smiths e-Mail disclaimer which may be found at:
http://www.smiths.co.za/disclaimer.htm

If you cannot access the disclaimer through the URL attached and you wish to receive a copy thereof please send an e-Mail to [email protected]

Gopal,

Do you need to change data in the external tables?

As far as I know this isn't possible with a view.

Not sure but in 9i I believe it can be done.

Just a note.

Walter,

Views in Oracle Prior to 9i are updateable.

Out of curiosity - why did you post to such an old thread?

Back