A B7332 / XE Hybrid

hotm6654

Well Known Member
Before you continue reading this post, I am looking for open minds and honest opinions. Flaming is unnecessary.

I have been asked to upgrade our OneWorld to XE. The primary reason management wants the upgrade is for the Contract Billing and Service Billing modules in XE. The secondary reason is to eliminate some remaining bugs with B733.2. My preference is to avoid upgrading at this time. This is for several, highly valid reasons that I will not go into in this post.

The only other option I could come up with would be to create a hybrid pathcode/environment which is all of B733.2 plus all of the code for these two modules. From a purely technical perspective, I don't see a problem with attempting this. I would install the Pristine version of XE and object transfer the Contract Billing and Service Billing objects to my B733.2 DEV environment. From an applications standpoint, I would expect a certain number of problems getting everything to work. However, since these are fairly small modules, I doubt these problems would be significant.

My question, then, is: has anyone attempted to run a hybrid environment between release X and release X+1? If so, how did it go?

JD Nowell
OW: B7332
ES: AS400 V4R4 CO: DB2/400 SP: 11.2
Users: 250 TSE Users: 100

Hi JD,

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing to want to do to me. It was actually a very common thing to do in World software.

The only trouble is that it tends not to be so simple in OneWorld.

You'll have to check carefully all of the new objects, and that means all related objects as well. A BSFN that is called may have changed dramatically, and will be needed, even if it's not part of the systems you mentioned.

Really, you'll just have to try it, using a methodology as you mentioned. JDE does often change many of the internal functions, so that may cause you major problems. For example, the program that scrubs the NER's to C code may have changed, so you would be missing that, and may have some very tricky problems to figure out. So it's really the System directory which is likely to cause you the most problems.

Still, all in all, a big job.

David

Independant Technical Consultant
CNC and Development
Currently in Europe on B732sp16 RS6000 Oracle

If I am already at the XE service pack level, then this should not be an issue (???).

JD Nowell
OW: B7332
ES: AS400 V4R4 CO: DB2/400 SP: 11.2
Users: 250 TSE Users: 100

I encountered the example of the NER scrubber on an installation that was not performed correctly/completely. It was only a minor update, so these sort of things can change even then.

You won't be able to know what issues you'll have until you have them. Be pretty certain that you will have them though. I would be (pleasantly) surprised if you don't come with at least one thing that needs some frustratingly difficult research and creative solution finding.

Good luck !

David

Independant Technical Consultant
CNC and Development
Currently in Europe on B732sp16 RS6000 Oracle

Back