9.0 UDC based visual assist not showing blanks as valid

Frosty the Coder

Legendary Poster
List,

A user pointed out that blanks are not showing in visual assist even though they show via UDC.

I searched the knowledgebase, but didn't find anything of interest. Admittedly, I do NOT like the "knowledgebase".

Is visual assist not showing the blanks a "feature"?
It appears that blanks are still valid, it's just that they don't show as being valid.

Is there a setting to "show blank UDC entries"?

Any/all relevant help is welcome.

Hi Frosty

Not just a 9.0 issue, we're on 8.10 and it seems for some UDC's blank doesn't need to be in the table and it's allow as a valid value on data entry. Boggles my mind how that can be allowed but it is - very frustrating.

We have just lived with it as opposed to customizing the field to be mandatory, but would be interested if someone has an answer as to why it would be designed this way or an easy fix, ie; some secret switch!

...babs

Sean, thank you for the link. It was just what I was looking for.

Babs, perhaps the link will help your 8.10 site.

Regards,

Thanks guys

Had a look and unfortunately doesn't help me. My issue is blank is NOT a valid value in the UDC. If you look via UDC fast path or via visual assist blank does not show, however, blank is allowed in the field, ie; field is not mandatory so we have to program to make mandatory.

JDE says " In order to make an entry mandatory for that Category Code the blank value should be deleted from the corresponding UDC table to force the user to select a valid value." But this doesn't seem to be the case for all fields using UDC's - unfortunately!

If anyone else had run across this and a fix please let me know! Really hate programming for something that is supposed to be inherent to the app!

An example is Shift Code (YASHFT - HR Employee Info, Organizational Assignment). I do not have blank in the table but it allows blank as a value = not mandatory entry field.

...babs

Back
Top Bottom