8.9 Dep Server back to Xe

Buster DAN

Hi there...

About a year ago will started an 8.9 upgrade that we never finished... with all the work that had been done we decided to leave the Dep server at 8.9

It is now unlikely that we will ever move to 8.9.... even 8.10/11 is doubtful so it makes sense to revert our deployment server back to Xe....this is where I would appreciate any advice....

The XE file structure/Folders still exists...we are still using XE quite happily and building packages from Xe clients... however the Foundation has changed obviously to 8.9. The XE ODBC settings still seem to be there and the registry entries seem standard (though there are separate keys for B9 under local_machine\jdedwards

Just jotting down the tasks that I think I need to do I have come up with the following, in some cases I am unsure how to go about them and no doubt I have missed so crucial steps... any advice would be appreciated.

We have a Peoplesoft\B9 folder and a Jdedwards\B7333 folder, plus what I assume is a backup folder that includes XE JDE.INI and the various .ddp .xdp .xda .dda .ddm .xdm .ddc .xds and .xdc files.

So I'm thinking that all I will need to do is:-

1 Backup the B9 files in the root drive (in our case E:) replace them with the XE ones
2 Replace the B9 JDE.INI with the XE one
3 Edit the System Variables to reflect B7333 (would these have been the same as say our existing XE Enterprise server?)
4 Start One World using the XE Explorer

Hmmm that all seems fairly straight forward... surely it's not going to be that simple
smile.gif

Thanks all.

Hi,

I would :

1. Backup c:\windows\jde.ini
2. Backup the whole \b7333 share
3. Export the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/ODBC/ODBC.INI registry
4. Format the server
5. Reinstall with the same OS, MDAC, IE, Service Pack, C++,
SQL Client, Adobe, and Server Name/IP it had before.
6. Be sure to reinstall all of them on the same folders
with the same settings they had before.
7. Reinstall Xe from installation CDs on the same folder.
8. Reinstall the same Xe SP level
9. Restore JDE.INI
10. Restore ODBC registry entries
11. Restore the whole B7333 on top of the existing one
12. Relicense your clients.

I've done it several times, it works. Just be sure that
you're installing exactly the same software releases at
the same places.

Those are my humble 2 "Patacones" (former Arg. currency)

Hi Dan,

Another 8.9 roadkill victim? We put the brakes on our plans to migrate off of XE as well. Sebastian's post looks like a solid plan of attack. I have one other idea to toss out. Start with different hardware. Leave your current deployment server alone. Buy new hardware and start the install from the CDs. That's my two florins worth (Aruban currancy(don't live there but love it as a vacation spot)).

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

"Roadkill Victim" hehe.... yeah you could say that Greg... the technical... upgrade part was a pain but we got there in the end... but just the sheer magnitude of retrofitting for us.... even setting up solution explorer and role based security were things that we were just not prepared for - with more pressing priorities we had to shelve our upgrade plans.
frown.gif

At the moment our Deployment server is really nothing more than a glorified storage area for packages really, it did used to use it for building and deploying packages so it would be nice to be able to do that again. We rarely applied ESU's really and there is a big question mark over whether we will ever upgrade from Xe..... it would be good to remove all the remnants of 8.9 though...

I had forgotten about MDAC...so thanks for pointing that out. Any views on how crucial this is likely to be to the overall operation of the Dep. Server under Xe? and whether it would be advisable to attempt to revert MDAC back on the existing server (unfortunately I don't have another server that is suitable for this).

We are still using SP21 and I want to take us up to at the very least SP23 (that's a point maybe the current version of MDAC on the DEP. server is supported - so I will check that). Once the DEP Server is running Xe again and we have SP23 we will be simply in maintainence mode possibly even allowing our support agreement lapse with Oracle/PS (This costs us a lot of cash and really we have never got reasonable support of value)
frown.gif

Dan,

I would go with your original plan, I had to do the same process
on a client site for the same 8.9 roadkill reason. If you had a backup of
your two registry keys (odbc & jdedwards) it would be easier, otherwise make
sure that all the datasources are pointing at the correct location etc..
another thing you might want to ensure is that the correct ocx's and dll are
deregistered and registered (see below script). If you were to do the
install on new hardware, unless you kept the machine name the same, you are
going to be doing a lot of digging through access tables and .inf files to
find the multitude of hardcoded references to the deployment server name.

Regards,

Kieran Fitzgerald

@echo off

REM Uncomment out the appropriate line (remove the REM) depending on which
machine you're using and set the drive letter to where PeopleSoft is
installed.

REM For Deployment Server
REM @SET OCXPATH=3Dx:\jdedwardsoneworld\b9\system\bin32

REM For client workstation
@SET OCXPATH=3Dc:\b9\system\bin32

@echo Make sure you are logged out of EnterprisOne 8.9 before running batch
file.
pause
@echo Make sure you edited the batch file to select the machine and drive
letter.
pause
@echo Registering PeopleSoft OCX files

%WINDIR%\system32\regsvr32 %OCXPATH%\dataitem.ocx
%WINDIR%\system32\regsvr32 %OCXPATH%\design.ocx
%WINDIR%\system32\regsvr32 %OCXPATH%\jdectocx.ocx
%WINDIR%\system32\regsvr32 %OCXPATH%\jdeocx.ocx
%WINDIR%\system32\regsvr32 %OCXPATH%\rdareportview.ocx

[ QUOTE ]
"Roadkill Victim" hehe.... yeah you could say that Greg... the technical... upgrade part was a pain but we got there in the end... but just the sheer magnitude of retrofitting for us.... even setting up solution explorer and role based security were things that we were just not prepared for - with more pressing priorities we had to shelve our upgrade plans.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can relate - we got down that same road. We set up a test set of servers with 8.9

I spent an insane amount of time figuring out how to convert from OneWorld to Solution Explorer. I converted 40% of the groups to Solution Explorer.

Then along comes Oracle. Our management folks decided to not be held hostage to the ERP wars and forced upgrades, so we changed strategies and shifted into maintenence mode on XE. We tore down the 8.9 servers, we froze the upgrade to Solution Explorer, and we changed our support over to TomorrowNow. (on the plus side, I'll share the Solution Explorer upgrade knowledge with all of the readers of JDEjournal Tips and Quest Q&A magazine in their May issues. I'll also present on that topic at the Quest conference in June. What the heck, at least somebody will benefit from that work....
cool.gif
)

We are going to stick with XE for the next five years. We'll start looking at it's replacement three years from now. Of course the question at that point will be who will be the top dog in the ERP world three years from now?

JDE - nope
PeopleSoft - nope
Oracle ???
SAP ???
Microsoft ???

Should be interesting!!!

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

Hey Greg...you have any openings. Don't often hear of a company that pays CNC folks well enough to go to Aruba...let alone the time off to go!
smile.gif

Regards,

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Greg...you have any openings. Don't often hear of a company that pays CNC folks well enough to go to Aruba...let alone the time off to go!
smile.gif

Regards,

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha. No openings at the moment. Of course we're only supporting the US, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, China, and Korea. When we finish adding on Thailand, India, Brazil, Argentina, Venuzula, and Eqcuador, then maybe they'll expand the staff a bit.....
cool.gif

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

Thanks again all... the OCX info is really useful too... cheers!
smile.gif

It really seems like so many people were caught out by 8.9, in a way it is kind of reassuring to know that we were not the only one's....as for Xe, well there seems to be life in the old dog yet!
smile.gif

Hopefully all will go well with the Deployment server... no doubt you'll all be hearing from me if it doesn't
wink.gif

Regards

DAN

Back