Development Speed

GSI Inc.

GSI Inc.

Well Known Member
We have a data center where we house our deployment and enterprise servers. Another office for "development". It has always taken 6-10X as long to check out a UBE and go into design mode. I am assuming this a normal. Without getting a T3 line to the other office I don't see speed picking up. We have done everything we can to expand the band width. Is there anyone in the same situation that develops offsite and gets good speed? It would be of great help to get some benchmarks on it.

Thanks, Detroit Bobby

DB - we do some remote development, not a lot. We have stand alone machines rack mounted and off-site developers use net mtg to remote control them. Not the greatest but it does work. We have people vpning in from all over on this. I work this way from home at nights, when I need to.

On the bandwidth issue - how far apart are your offices? Even the most basic operations like using the oda are bandwidth intensive. If your gonna develop off-site on fat clients I can't imagine not having at least 10mb connectivity. If your close and have line of site there is some pretty cool wireless bridge stuff these days. Router configs are also gonna be vital.

XE, SP17, AS400, V4R5M0

We set up FULL development on a Terminal Server. I can go into detail if you wish. This worked great. In 50 words or less, you basically have a separate B7 folder on the terminal server for each user. You set a login script which maps a drive letter to the users B7 folder, then you edit the install entry in the JDE.INI file to point to that drive letter, pretty cool, eh?

Hope this helps.

Matthew Scott
XE, SP 17.1, AS/400, Win2000 Logic Servers, Win2000 Term. Servers, Win2000 Java Servers, Central Objects in Oracle.

Now that is a cooooooool idea.

Mark Siebenschuh
HP9000/Oracle 8.0.5/JDE XE/Lots of Citrix

Hi Matthew,

Yes, pretty cool, sounds interesting. But a few questions.

How much hard disk space do you have on your terminal server?
How many developers do you have doing this?
How do you install packages?
Do you have to create the OWDEVELOPER group or other registry changes?

Thanks

Adrian Valentim
Valmatrix Consulting Inc.

Matthew,
That is a wonderful thing !! Can you post your procedure in 51 words or more for all to use ?
And maybe even add this to the TIPS area ?
If not, please e-mail me your answer. This sounds a lot better that trying to do development remotely on a fat client or coming in and using Remotely Possible (etc.) to get to a fat client.
Thanks in advance,
Dave

SQL 2000 SP2, One World XE SP15.1, Citrix 2000 Metaframe XP

Hi... I am interested in how you manage package deployments to this terminal servers, versions, and data dictionary. We have developers spread globally and would be interested in your answers.

Thanks.

John Ho
CNC, XE/Update 2/SP16
ES: Win2K Adv Server SQL 2000
DS: Win2K Server
TSE: Citrix. No fat clients.

Ok everyone, here goes.

The drive which contained each persons B7 folder was on a SAN and had 100GB of space reserved for it. As for package builds, that is the tricky area. There are 2 solutions, 1 you deploy to 1 user, and then copy the specs to the rest of the users, or 2, you only use the server for the DV environment, and run your reports locally on the terminal server. How do you run them locally? There was a sar on knowledge garden detailing how to alter the P98305 to allow for submitting jobs locally on a terminal server. I'll try to dig it up.

I know this is a little of an administrative bear, but the end result is worth it.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Please email me at [email protected].

Hope this helps,

Matthew Scott
XE, SP 17.1, AS/400, Win2000 Logic Servers, Win2000 Term. Servers, Win2000 Java Servers, Central Objects in Oracle.

Back