Access Oracle DB from JDE System/i or Windows

Ian_Simmons

Hi

Second attmept to post - last one disappeared! We are trying to access a 3rd-party Oracle DB (10g, Windows platform) for interfacing to (and possible from) JDE running on System i V5R2 (AS/400) and are looking for a solution that allows us to use the JDE toolset. We have a straight flat file option but would like to avoid it.

Has anyone any experience or suggestion about how to achieve this? We can run UBEs on Windows as well as System/i, if necessary. A foreign table approach may be possible?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks, Ian

Hi,

If my memory doesn't fail, I'd suggest you to try
JDBNet, it's part of the foundational JDE Toolkit.
Run some research on Knowledge Garden with "JDBNET",
you should get some useful documents.
I know for sure you'll have to activate JDBNET
Kernels (on server JDE.INI), create a datasource for
the external server with JDBNET checkbox active, but
I don't know further details.
Unfortunately, I haven't had any practical experience
with JDBNET between iSeries and OracleDBs.

Ian,

if you can remove the AS/400 from the equation (by only accessing from your Windows Apps server) life becomes much easier.

1. Install Oracle client on your Windows Apps server box. Test to make sure you have connectivity to the 3rd party Oracle database from there.

2. In the Oracle database create a user for your JDE system to use. Make sure it has neccessary permissions to access the data tables.

3. In the Oracle database create views that transform the 3rd party table and field names into JDE equivalents (such as table F550100 and column AN8). Views should be created in your new user's schema but point to the 3rd party schema.tablename

4. In JDE create a new database data source that maps to the Oracle database and schema.

5. In JDE / OMW create table definitions that match the database view and column names created in step 3. Promote table definitions/objects to server via update package.

6. Create OCM entries for new data source and tables.

7. Create Business view that maps to custom table. Create simple application that shows data fields in business view. Run application - hopefully you will see data.

I probably missed a step or two since I just typed this out of my head - but it should work.

Good luck,

Back