World to E1

wloban

Well Known Member
I am working on a project to migrating World to E1 and changing platforms from AS/400 to Windows and SQL Server. Has anyone done this type of conversion. Any tips / tricks would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone have the media for 9.0? Seems Oracle has removed all the downloads for 9.0.

What version of World are you coming from, and what version of E1 are you going to?
bORgACLE has changed many file layouts depending on the to/from platforms.

You should be able to find the documentation on the Oracle site, Knowledge, Online documentation.

One tip, already too late for your circumstance, is don't change hardware/software at the same time.
You have my sympathies in that you have to go through that.

There are plenty of 'roadblocks' you may encounter. While my expertise is more focused on the overall integration of JDE components with the business process, 'Keep it Simple' is a good rule.

This project is a MAJOR change for your users. Were you on World 9.x or 7.3 makes a huge difference as well.

AS/400 structure to SQL is a smart move and will save money but it can be traumatic for the business and the users! Deploying a strong and FUNCTIONAL CRP instance on the SQL server farm (either virtual or real) is critical for training and business process re-engineering.

Lots of things are going to change for the users! Train the trainers well and get some additional consultation support to help; a team that has been there and done that before!

I can tell you horror stories about projects that failed and continue to fail because of lack of preparation, testing and training.

There are a myriad of differences with the older World to E1; most are good and productive but take getting used to! Get everyone involved from the Board Room to the loading dock! It is critical to your success!

Support systems, such as your EDI interfaces (another area of my expertise) should be addressed to function seamlessly with the new SQL platform. Subsystems that worked well with DB2 and the iSeries/AS/400 structure are usually not compatible with the SQL platform so will need to be replaced/upgraded or eliminated (due to additional functionality that exists in E1 that didn't in World).

Do a thorough requirements spec and do NOT try to break E1 to work like the old World system. It is a common thing that happens when migrating when users are not adequately trained and the functional analysis does not integrate with the business process.

Oftentimes, the business processes should change to utilize added functionality in E1. Don't shortcut and try to 'patch' or otherwise modify E1 before a thorough 'fit analysis' has been completed. Fail to do this and plan on total failure.

What you are facing is a daunting task and required planning, preparation and a TEAM (users, in-house tech and support consultants) to make it happen! It's NOT CHEAP but can be quite cost effective in the long term. Plus you stay on Oracle Support into the future!

Please call for further information. Love to help you. These projects can be FUN and Cost Effective for the company but Experience Counts.

Cheers,
Skip Stein
Management Systems Consulting, Inc.
http://www.msc-inc.net
407-683-6816

Back