Different DD for DV/PY

daveschultz

Well Known Member
I was wondering if I am able to create a seperate set of data dictionary for our DV and PY envrinments so that we can test the effects of some data dictionary changes without affecting our production environment. I can't seem to find any information on this setup. Our DV and PY environments are on a diffrent physical server than PD, and they have their own pathcodes. I f anyone could point me at some information on this, or provide any words of wisdom that would be great.

Thanks

Dave
E812, TR 8.98.1.4, OAS
Oracle 10g DB

Dave,

One way to do this is to have two separate installs - one for PD and the other for PY/DV. This is the basis of what we have. Separate installations is a clean option, but comes with it's own problems, such as resources to set it up (if it is worth it), promotion of changes to production, keeping the two installations in synch as much as possible. A variation on this theme would be to set up an additional installation, but this may not be worth the effort.

Another, related, option may be to setup a demo version, but that may not allow all the testing you need - especially involving any customisations.

A third option maybe using the OCM. However you must keep your OCM copies - system and server(s) - in synch. There is a possible complication - if the DD is defined in the JDE Bootstrap. If it is, then it may not be possible to do this, or you may need to change the JDE bootstrap. I don't have any experience the JDE Bootstrap - if indeed I have the correct term. I know this has been discussed on JDEList before, but it has been a while, so you will have to search for it and/or get further advice.

Hi Dave,

Yes it is possible to do this and it is in fact quite common to seperate Production Data Dictionary from DV /PY

High level Steps off the the top off my head as below , hopefully I have not missed anything significant

Create a new Data source that will hold the DD for your DV/PY.

On the back end copy all the tables from DD811 to the new schema / database , or you could may be make a version of R98403 do this

Create OCM's to point all DD tables to the new datasource for your DV and PY environments. Make sure you do this in System ,Server Map and Planner also.

Setup transfer activity rules to move DD items from PY to PD as per your OMC setup.

Setup the new DD datasource in the Release Datasource Map application (P00948). I have found that in 8.9 (and above I presume) the promotion of DD items does not work if this is not setup. This step is not needed in ERP 8.0 and below

Lastly a multiple Data Dictionary setup works best if you

1. Have seperate Web and Enterprise Servers for PD and DV/PY

2. Perform package builds on a workstation (not Deployment Server), signed into the environment you are building the package for

ice_cube210 <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Dave,

Yes it is possible to do this and it is in fact quite common to seperate Pr oduction Data Dictionary from DV /PY

High level Steps off the the top off my head as below , hopefully I have no t missed anything significant

Create a new Data source that will hold the DD for your DV/PY.

On the back end copy all the tables from DD812 to the new schema / database , or you could may be make a version of R98403 do this

Create OCM's to point all DD tables to the new datasource for your DV and P Y environments. Make sure you do this in System ,Server Map and Planner als o.

Setup transfer activity rules to move DD items from PY to PD as per your OM C setup.

Setup the new DD datasource in the Release Datasource Map application (P009 48). I have found that in 8.9 (and above I presume) the promotion of DD ite ms does not work if this is not setup. This step is not needed in ERP 8.0 a nd below

Lastly a multiple Data Dictionary setup works best if you

1. Have seperate Web and Enterprise Servers for PD and DV/PY

2. Perform package builds on a workstation signed into the environment you are building the package for

EnterpriseOne Xe to 8.12 Wintel/ Unix Oracle , SQL Server WAS , OAS AppWorx , Tidal

I did all the steps as mentioned above, everything was working fine. Except that:
I was using the same Enterprise Server for All environments
I was building the pkg from the deployment server

And we end up that the enterprise server is mixing between the data dictionaries, even it has been tested and verified, so the problem is inconsistent, it cause a data corruption. We are not sure how did the enterprise server crossover between the data dictionaries, hope if someone can clarify.
All the configuration COMs data sources all are configured well
Finally we decided to separate the enterprise servers, but will that ensure the data consistency. Please advice.

Thank you,

I know this is an old thread but I have a new question that is very related. In our old system we had configured the OMC transfer activity rules so that we could promote DD items but we did not have real separate DD. I am assuming that we put in new locations that would copy the data but did not actually have OCMs in place to point any environment there. Can someone point me towards a way of doing this. The requirement is that we can have DD items (mainly new) tied to an OMW project and promoted but we do not actually have separate DD set up for the promotion path environments (we are using the standard global DD.

Hi, we also have a single DD for all environments. Earlier today, I created a new Error data item in my project in DV environment. Without building or otherwise transferring the project, it's now visible in our PD environment as well. So when you have a combined DD, you need to be careful about changing things that are already in use!

Back