E9.2 Best practices for OMW configuration and use

jgagnon

I am tasked with setting up and maintaining role-based security as well as UDO security for applications in our E1 installation. We have done all of our work of creating roles, setting security, and developing UDOs on our PY environment. Now we are at the point where we want to start rolling out the new roles (with the associated security and UDOs) to PD. Security (at least applications security) is universal across the platforms - when I created roles and added security settings to the roles on PY, they were automatically transferred to PD (and I assume DV). However, for UDOs it quickly became apparent that we did not know the correct way to do this.

After some investigation I became aware of the Object Management Workbench (OMW) in E1 9.2. It would appear that this is the application I should use to transfer UDOs from PY to PD. I've read through the OMW guide (https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E53430_01/EOTWO/toc.htm) and I think I understand it for the most part. There seems to be a lot of configuration that needs/should to be set up in order for the process to run smoothly. It's a little overwhelming and I want to make sure I understand what's important so that it will work correctly.

Is there a tutorial or guide that covers how to do what I've described above? Are there tips and tricks, lessons learned, best practices or commonly accepted configuration(s) for the OMW that have been found to work well in the E1 user community?

I am assuming you do not currently have a CNC administrator and are either using a "vanilla" JDE system or not doing active JDE development that would require OMW to be used much. As you have learned, OMW is fundamental to the JDE change control process. The documentation you have mentioned is about all there is. You really need to absorb all the information contained from this point https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E53430_01/nav/foundation.htm in order to understand what OMW is sitting on top of and managing.

If you have access to Oracle support you can start with this document and there are links to a few other knowledge articles from that with a bit more narrative information:
E1: OMW: An Overview of JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Object Management Workbench (P98220) (Doc ID 1559992.1)

In order to understand OMW beyond that documentation you need to be versed in CNC fundamentals and understand how path codes, environments and the various objects and data that make up a JDE system all fit together and flow through promotions, package builds and deployments. For instance, you have observed that Security setup seems to be "universal" and automatically transferred. In truth, there has been no transfer and it is due to your system being setup with a single system data source for all environments that made your security changes immediately effective in all environments. Security is not managed by OMW. This would not always be the case depending on how your Object Configuration Manager (OCM) mappings for security tables are considered. In my systems I typically split security between non-production and production.

Some form of CNC foundation training is probably what you need to give you the platform to build more JDE knowledge on top of. I would suggest looking into a CNC foundation course such as one given by JDETips or to engage a Sr. CNC consultant (who is a capable trainer) for a few days to lead you through a personal course using your environment and discussing your specific change control needs.

Back