DesignStudio 7.8 and variable printer names

CHo

VIP Member
Hi. We are converting from handcoded DCS documents on eCom to DesignStudio documents on eCom. I'm confused about printers.

Currently, we have approx. 120 Optio printers because each branch has at least one Optio printer. How do I set up variable printer names? Don't I need to have the printer that the user selects in "Work With Submitted Jobs" on the pdf? If so, how do I get the printer name on the pdf (business function or table IO)?

CHo,

We are still using hand-coded DCS files -- DesignStudio has never really gotten us very excited!

If the user is going to select the printer at run-time, usually you have a separate Optio document set up for each printer, and each of those Optio documents is pointed at its own printer. As an alternative, if you can use a field in the pdf (e.g. branch/plant) to pick the appropriate printer, you could insert logic into an Optio document to do that.

If I'm not understanding your needs correctly, please post any additional clarification and I'd be glad to help if I can.

We are currently doing just that for our handcoded DCS documents.

Can we continue doing that for DesignStudio? If not, then how do we go about converting our printer DCS documents over to DesignStudio?

CHo,

Sorry, but I'm not up to speed on DesignStudio. Maybe someone else who is can answer, or you could always log a call with Optio's Customer Care -- I've found them very responsive to questions or issues I've had in the past.

Also, have you considered going to a DesignStudio class? That might be your best bet.

I took the Intro to DesignStudio course late last year.

I have a solution to my issue. I will put the default printer name on the pdf. Use the default printer name to determine which printer to print to in DesignStudio.

I haven't tried it yet, but I hope it works.

We are bringing in the spooled file attributes, in the JDE dream writer version we specify the name of the printer as the "virtual printer" for Optio, we then specify the actual printer under user data. this way we can have one form for as many printers are required. We then map in the spooled file attributes with the print file in optio and base the printing off of that.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your suggestion, but we cannot use it. As we are on OW on AIX (see signature).

Hopefully, your suggestion will be of use to someone else.

You can either put the printer name on the pdf via a logic (like storing printer on some database and retriveing it back on te pdf), or create a excel file with printer name and conditions and call it in optio to pick specific printers. hope this helps...

We have arranged for all a sites' printers to be set up in JDE, but all point to one virtual printer (Multi-site application - wanted to keep maintenance to a minimum) so when the user selects a printer at runtime, we use a simple SQL lookup to relate JDE printer name to AD Printer URL and submit it as a variable in the document.

The printer is selected at runtime. Is there either a business function or ER we can use to place the printer name on the pdf?

For your setup, is there any flexibility to where a user can print to?

Right now if an invoice printer at site A is down, then users can print to another printer at the same site. I would like to keep this flexibility if it is possible.

Hi,
I have the printer name populated on the pdf, how to make my dcl to catch this printername, and print to the printer that appeared on the pdf, Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks & Regards
Neelima

Hi Neelima,

Map that printer name in Rich content.Place it in form layout outside.

Design a printer ... in the priter properties instead of giving server/printer name givv as =printernamemapped

Back