Fax:2905887
Email: [email protected]

This e-mail is only intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and
may contain confidential information. Unless stated to the contrary, any
opinions or comments are personal to the writer and do not represent the
official view of the company. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message
from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purpose, or
disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you for your cooperation.

Hi Sunny,

We have a Dell Enterprise Server running OneWorld Xe, Windows 2000. We have about 60 users.

Tet

>> Hi.

>> Is any one using Dell Server as Enterprise Server for JDE OW in WinNT
>> environment. about 50users.

>> Thanks & Best Regards

>> Sunny Hu
>> Chief IT Manager
>> PICO ART INT'L PTE LTD
>> Tel: 2905647
>> Fax:2905887
>> Email: [email protected]

>> This e-mail is only intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and
>> may contain confidential information. Unless stated to the contrary, any
>> opinions or comments are personal to the writer and do not represent the
>> official view of the company. If you have received this e-mail in error,
>> please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message
>> from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purpose, or
>> disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you for your cooperation.
>> --------------------------
>>

We are using a Dell server. We only have about 5 users though (very small office staff) ...

I have had other clients who have used Dell servers.

What is your specific question?

We are currently using a Dell 6400 as an Enterprise server. The box is loaded with 4GB of ram and connected to a SAN. We are running SQL7.0 and supporting 75 users. The only reccommendation I would make is that if you are planning on running MS SQL then you should seriously consider running SQL 2000 Enterprise Edition.

Is there any particular reason you recommend enterprise edition?
AFAIK EE exists for scalability and doesn't have anything to do with stability or anything of that nature. The decision to use enterprise edition should rest more on the needs of the specific installation. And based upon the original poster's specs. of 50 users I would not think that would justify EE.
I'm just curious as to why you would recommend EE v/s standard.

Thanks,
Jeff

2000 Enterprise Edition has a number of enhancements over the Standard the lest of which is the ability to utilize more than 2 GB of Ram. Other features that would directly benefit JDE are the ability to build parallel execution plans, dynamically adjusts the maximum number of read ahead pages based on the amount of memory present, and advanced scan feature allows multiple tasks to share full table scans. I did not provide the details of these features as they are fully explained on Technet.

Everything you say is true. However for small installations such as the original poster's and mine, SQL2K EE is overkill. SQL2K standard is designed specifically for those implementations that don't need more than 2GB memory devoted to your database services and don't need parallel executions etc. All the benefits you described are about scalability and getting more users onto a single big box. My little 4-way 4GB enterprise server is more than enough for our needs with SQL2K standard and I have more than 50 users which were specified originally.

Of 50 users, how many are online at the same time in a typical business environment. Of those that are online how many are performing a lookup or a UBE execution simultaneously. For small implementations such as my company the low usage numbers that we can throw at a server mean we won't see benefit from the advanced features of EE. It is about return on investment. From a technological standpoint it would be nice to have those features in EE but for our usage level my users won't see anything different from what they see right now. Yes, their check run may finish in 10 minutes instead of 15, but when the checks then sit on the printer for 20 minutes afterwards what did that really gain my company.

I just want to stress that anyone investigate their actual need for the benefits of EE before they spend the money on it and not use it as a one-size-fits-all solution just because it contains advanced features.

Thanks,
Jeff

Dear Tet

Is it possible to let me which model are you using (Dell)? is it 6400
series?

Thanks & Best Regards

Sunny Hu
Chief IT Manager
PICO ART INT'L PTE LTD
Tel: 2905647
Fax:2905887
Email: [email protected]

re[2]: Using Dell Server as Enterprise server

Hi Sunny,

We are using Dell 6450.

Tet

>> Dear Tet

>> Is it possible to let me which model are you using (Dell)? is it 6400
>> series?

>> Thanks & Best Regards

>> Sunny Hu
>> Chief IT Manager
>> PICO ART INT'L PTE LTD
>> Tel: 2905647
>> Fax:2905887
>> Email: [email protected]
>> --------------------------
>>

I worked at a client site once who had a dell server which had dual network cards for adaptive teaming and it flew like rocket.
Not sure what model.

Back