ORACLE Standard Edition or ORACLE enterprise edition

moer

Hi there,
We're running 8.12 on AIX and ORACLE 10g Entreprise Edition.
The database size is 1To with the datas for E1 being around 500Go.
We're considering downgrading to Oracle Standard Edition.
Is anyone running E1 with this configuration? Can you give me some feed back?
Thanks in advance
Eric

Hi Eric,

Initially Oracle sold us EE for 50 concurrent users. After 5 years an audit was done and we were told that we have 210 concurrent users. We were advised to upgrade our licences and to pay 1 year penalty for back payment. The new yearly licence cost was huge. We decided to downgrade to SE and pay the once-off 1 year penaly. It has been more than 3 years and we have had no issues. We do not pay any licence fees for SE because Oracle database SE is bundled with JDEdwards EnterpriseOne red stack.

Kind regards,
Gopal.
JDE 9.0 Update 1/SP 8.98.4.2Oracle SE 11G/Linux 5 Update 5/Oracle VM 2.2/WL 10.3.1

Eric,

we run Standard Edition with E1 9.0. It works fine. FYI our db size is less than half of yours. Your DBA(s) will cry over losing those management features in EE. Suggest you check the product features matrix between the different editions to ensure you won't lose something critical to your operation.

One additional comment. The red stack DOES include SE as part of it. However that is ONLY for EnterpriseOne. You would be in violation of your license agreement and subject to fines if you had home-grown or 3rd party applications/data stores using an Oracle database without a different license to cover that usage.

Hi,

I agree with Larry, in SE there some option that are not available, like table partitionning (that allow to split some big tables, based on some criteria, like a date, document number, ...), and i think you can't use some performance/analysis tools (SQL Advisor, ADDM, ...), can't use bitmaps index, ...
So indeed you should have a look at differences between those editions.

Rgds,

Back