Customizations Vs. Resource requirements

Pardha

We are in the process of upgrading to 9.0 and I am doing some analysis on the resource requirements. Does anyone know or heard of any statistics to transalate "% of customizations to number of resources (technical, functional)"?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Pardha

I'm sorry - but that would be a ridiculous way to approach resource assignment. You must at least do some high level analysis / scoping of requirements before attempting to plan resources.

A customer may say they only have 1 customization - but it turns out the one customization is a rewrite of the sales order module.

Hi Pardha,

This isn't a formula question, really - it's a "how well do you know your customizations" question.

There isn't a real formula. There is a broad, and untested formula - that I attempt to use, though. I call it 75% of what was originally necessary for the Modification.

Now - take that number into consideration, and exception, for each modification and the span of time necessary till go-live. If your modification took ten weeks, initially - and you want to go live in five weeks - you may want to target at least 150% of your initial resources.

The rule of 75% is my personal experience, not based on anything scientific - maybe it's more-based on intuition (and, recall - I didn't think it would snow in Dalton,Georgia, this year).

How many organizations 'really' know how long the original 'enhancement' took to place into Production? I didn't think so....

(db)

you don't need to be sorry. I understand your opinion to some extent. I have already completed "upgrade impact assessment" excercise and have a clear idea of how many modules we have and with (level of) customizations. I am not looking for some equation to figure out the actual requirements. I am looking for some results of studies from some major firms like (Gartner). There got to be some high level analysis than can be presented to executive level personnel.

Thanks,
Pardha

Appreciate your details. My approach is basically to understand current customizations and then find out alternatives available in standard 9.0. As a next step I would be going to the business personnel to talk them out of customizing by changing the business process (if need be). I understand this will bring more requirements on the functional side however; will make it easy to maintain in the longer run.

As I mentioned in my response to Lary's email, I am looking for some survey results from some major firms that I can use as a guideline.

Thanks for your input.

Pardha

As said it depends on the complexity of the customizations and the time you have for go-live.
I also take into consideration the level of resource you get or need for the customization since you might need a seasoned resource if there are very complex customization needed. Also if you want to see if you can consolidate any of those customizations.

Chan

Back